PDA

View Full Version : wifi card installed ok, still wont connect to router.

zaccraven
01-05-2006, 02:52 AM
Problem: I cannot connect to the LAN and get access to the internet.

Im running Knoppix off CD (latest version downloaded 31/12/2005) on my dell latitude laptop (500mhz, 192mb RAM, broken HDD, 512mb usb-key used to store knoppix config settings). I have an Edimax ew-7108g wifi card. I have installed the driver with ndiswrapper. The wifi card seems to be recognised ok - it says the driver is installed and hardware is installed.

If I run KWifiManager it finds my router/network (conexant). signal strength is 100%. But it wont connect to it or let me use the internet. I try to ping my router (10.0.0.2) but it cannot connect (refused). When I check this with IPTRAF it seems that it is using the lo interface to connect rather than the wlan0. This may be a key to the problem.

I have tried using netcardconfig and using DHCP broadcast - result was failed. If I dont use DHCP, it asks for lots of settings but I dont know what these should be. I have entered my encryption key and left all the others as default.

Any advice for getting this working?

maprat
01-06-2006, 05:04 PM
I was having the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop but after pulling my hair out got my connection up by...

1st> run NDISwrapper
2nd>configure the card using either "IWconfig" or "Wavelan configuration"
3rd>unplug your router and wait 30 seconds... then plug it back in
4th>clicking on "Network card configuration" should now fetch the IP address from the router

***Note: I still have a very slow DNS name lookup problem after I got connected. Once the router finds the web site the info downloads quickly but the name lookup process is still slow and frustrating. Obviously this is not a good cure-all. I am running a Dell router.. may have to swap it out and see if this fixes things.

Let me know if this works for you.

Problem: I cannot connect to the LAN and get access to the internet.

Im running Knoppix off CD (latest version downloaded 31/12/2005) on my dell latitude laptop (500mhz, 192mb RAM, broken HDD, 512mb usb-key used to store knoppix config settings). I have an Edimax ew-7108g wifi card. I have installed the driver with ndiswrapper. The wifi card seems to be recognised ok - it says the driver is installed and hardware is installed.

If I run KWifiManager it finds my router/network (conexant). signal strength is 100%. But it wont connect to it or let me use the internet. I try to ping my router (10.0.0.2) but it cannot connect (refused). When I check this with IPTRAF it seems that it is using the lo interface to connect rather than the wlan0. This may be a key to the problem.

I have tried using netcardconfig and using DHCP broadcast - result was failed. If I dont use DHCP, it asks for lots of settings but I dont know what these should be. I have entered my encryption key and left all the others as default.

Any advice for getting this working?

zaccraven
01-06-2006, 05:10 PM
thanks for that.

actually after i made this post i managed to ping my desktop on 10.0.0.3, but for some reason it still wouldnt get anything from the internet or connect to the router setup on 10.0.0.2. I think it was just a local LAN setup thing.

I have since ordered a new harddrive for my laptop and I will install fedora core3 on it. I just wanted to see if I could manage without a HDD via knoppix but its too slow and difficult to save settings (even with a 512mb usb key).