PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 4.0 motorola surfboard / no internet connection

maxmartin
01-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Hello

I'am new at Knoppix Forum and i got a problem with my internet connection (with motorola surfboard usb cable modem). I have listed my usb components with "usbview" in KDE. There is my modem on the list, but it is "red marked". In Knoppix 3.6 everything with my internet connection was fine, I haven't got any problems. What should I do?

Please help
:(

dRaCk0
01-10-2006, 10:07 PM
I have exactly the same problem, i even used knoppix 3.6 and save the network configuration into a floppy but i cant make it load that config i dont know why. I did some tests at the booting secuense and i noticed that on knoppix 3.6 i actually does a USB scan and there it detects the Motorola Surfboard Modem, but in the 4.0.2 version it seems to skip this hotplug USB scan, i dont know why.. i hope that somebody can help me.

maxmartin
01-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Hmm...

I have installed Quantian on my harddisk (based on Knoppix 4.0 DVD). I found something.
FIRS WAY:

Find this file /etc/network/interfaces and put there this line:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

Save config and reboot.

SECOND WAY:
Find file /etc/modules.conf and put there this line:

alias eth0 CDCEther

Save config and reboot.

The first way to fix this problem worked for me SOMETIMES???

When I run Knoppix 4.0.2 live boot I haven't internet connection. I must type this after Knoppix boot (every time):

# modprobe usbnet
# ifconfig eth0 up
# pump -i eth0

After these 3 operations my motorola usb cable modem works fine. Is there any way to make these 3 operations automaticly during Knoppix boot?

Please help.

Lugh
01-23-2006, 12:42 AM
If you have a router, it would be better to use the Ethernet connection than USB. I have been using Knoppix for a few weeks and I have had little or no trouble withe the modem or router.

|enouf|
01-23-2006, 04:52 AM
If you have a router, it would be better to use the Ethernet connection than USB. I have been using Knoppix for a few weeks and I have had little or no trouble withe the modem or router.
correct ... i use/have;
Cable Internet -> Motorla Surboard Modem -> Ethernet to Router -> Ethernet to NIC

using Knoppix 3.6 (Both 2.4 and 2.6.7 kernels) == No issues

using the NIC (Network Interface Card - Ethernet) is more necessary than having the Router - yet the router affords security and ability for more than 1 PC. (LAN, Subnet)

In knoppix 4.0.2 - IIRC, there's an issue with USB 2.0 initialization, due to a 'typo' in a config file - see post by memeber ruymbeke on [Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:46 am]
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20612&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=42