PDA

View Full Version : Problems remastering Kanotix 2005-04 LITE

knopx4me
01-07-2006, 04:24 AM
I am trying to remaster Kanotix 2005-04 LITE but faced lots of problems. I was able to start X in chrooted environment but many things are not starting like konsol and synaptic. It says some thing about not finding "su" and the need to setup the PATH correctly. Any body has an idea?

I remastered the beta version (RC15) and did not have any problem with it. What changes had happened since then?

DevHead
01-14-2006, 04:01 AM
I had a similar problem trying to Remaster Kanotix, still trying to track down what has changed between 2003 and 2004 for remastering.

Please tell me how you remastered 2004 rc15, I am very curious to know.

realproto
05-16-2006, 08:04 AM
I've passed certain roadblocks trying to remaster this live CD. My objective is to have a live CD that boots into English and contains the eboard Chess app. The roadblocks a newbie like me encountered:
- how to mount the /cdrom0/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX,, its not -t cloop
mount -t squashfs /cdrom0/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /mnt/tmp_mount -o loop

- Make a folder you can work from, remaster/, remaster/source , remaster/target
cp -pR /mnt/tmp_mount/* /tmp/remaster/source

- chroot to /tmp/remaster/source and apt-get remove or install what you need. Can I start a KDE app from the chroot environment? This my question, any body?

- after using chroot (and while not braking anything) put it back into a compressed file (-info tells you the status). Replace this
- KNOPPIX file with the source/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file by mv
mksquashfs /tmp/remaster/source /tmp/KNOPPIX -info
- now make a ISO file
- I tested the ISO using qemu (I'm surprised it runs well on 128MB on 500 Mhz CPU) and it boots grub with gxbmenu but shows
- me an error: can't find Kanotix /KNOPPIX
What's wrong?

tr
05-21-2006, 07:35 PM
It says some thing about not finding "su" and the need to setup the PATH correctly. Any body has an idea?

I don't know Kanotix enough but check some things.
1. Is user knoppix member of sudo group? If not, just add it:

adduser knoppix sudo
2. Have you modified /etc/profile file? What does echo $PATH say?
Profile file should start like this:

# /etc/profile
umask 022
PATH="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/games"

At the end of that file is in Knoppix:

# This is very KNOPPIX-specific
alias su="sudo su"

-tapsa-