PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 -- installing Knoppix

ramu_kellogg98
01-08-2006, 07:46 PM
I am trying to install Knoppix on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100. Currently it has no OS installed in it.

After turning on the computer, I see "Missing Operating System".
I then open the CDROM drive and insert a disk containing Knoppix.

But nothing seems to happen and consequently Knoppix does not seem to boot up. I'd like to install Knoppix as the default operating system in the hard disk.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot the problem.

Tom Tiger
01-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi,

You'll need to boot from the cdrom, on the 6100 you can do this in three different ways.

- acces the bios (press esc repeatedly during boot when you see the "Toshiba in touch with tomorrow" logo)
you'll get press F1 for setup, set bootup sequence to cdrom

- press F12 a few times during the bootup (when you see the logo)
then simply select the cdrom logo

- press the left or right cursor a few times during the bootup.
then simply select the cdrom logo

I've been using Knoppix on the 6100 for a couple of years and it works perfectly, install goes well (3.6 through 4.02)

L8tr Tom

ramu_kellogg98
01-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Yes, I was able to install the base Debian package. Thanks for the tips.

During the install, I chosen the option to include the "Desktop Mgmt" system. Several files were downloaded from the Internet.

However, after the downloading process, the machine rebooted and I then I logged in as a standard user (via my login and password). But I only see a shell prompt. I don't see a window manager or Mozilla. Not sure in which default directory it is located.

Thanks for any additional pointers.

Tom Tiger
01-17-2006, 10:03 AM
No problem :D Glad you got it to work

Just a quick not for the SP6100 if it continues to reset spontaneously please contact the nearest TASC
(Toshiba Authorised Service Center) there is a special coulance arrangement for the 6100 which is still in effect untill
march 2006, basicly it means that if you have some weird problems with your 6100 it "might" still be under an extended
factory warranty.

Yesterday I got a 6100 in for repair (RTC failure) and Toshiba declared it a coulance case, so extended warranty.

L8tr... Tom