PDA

View Full Version : installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch

jza
05-03-2003, 08:37 PM
I'm new to Linux and i really like the knoppix setup, I did some research on the net about installing Linux and then setting up KDE and everything, but it seems sort of complicated. So i was wondering if there would be any benefits in setting up like this versus doing the hdinstall from KNoppix?
Also, I have PartitionMagic in my computer, if i do the install, would it be better to set the partition(s) from PM or should i use the commands they have been gone over here to make them??
thanks a bunch!

rickenbacherus
05-03-2003, 11:30 PM
I'm new to Linux and i really like the knoppix setup, I did some research on the net about installing Linux and then setting up KDE and everything, but it seems sort of complicated. So i was wondering if there would be any benefits in setting up like this versus doing the hdinstall from KNoppix?

Depends...........what do you want out of a system? If you just want to get started in Linux and don't have any specific needs (like a server for example) then Knoppix is the answer. Not that Knoppix couldn't be a server- sure it could but there are distros made specifically for such things as well as other specific duty distros.

[Also, I have PartitionMagic in my computer, if i do the install, would it be better to set the partition(s) from PM or should i use the commands they have been gone over here to make them??
thanks a bunch!

If you want to resize partitions then use PM. If you have the space already available then cfdisk or even QTParted (which I hear is in the latest release) would do the job nicely.