PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to knoppix , help needed , hardware related

Dark_W0lf
01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi , this is the first day of using knoppix ...
I wrote a cd with knoppix 4.0.2 and when booting , after presing enter , a small penguin appears in the left-upper corner and nothing else happens ... I don't have the same problem when using knoppix 3.6 ( or 3.3 , not sure :oops: ) ... knoppix 3.6 runs perfect ... why can't i run knoppix 4.0.2 , i wrote 2 cds and it happened the same , is it a hardware problem ? if needed i can tell you what hardware i use ...
However , i have some quetions related to knoppix 3.6 too ... what must i do to set up a network connection ... on windows i use pppoe ( trough wan miniport ) , that means i don't need any IP or MAC ... all i need is a username and a password ... my ip is dinamic ... please tell me what to do to connect to internet , step by step ... when i type run/cmd/ipconfig -all in windows it shows me a different ip each time i connect , the default gateway is the same as the ip ... subnet mask 255.255.255.255 and dns 194.55.169.1 - 194.55.169.2 ...
Please tell me step-by-step , i`m new in knoppix ...

SiKing
01-10-2006, 10:10 AM
With regards to the booting of 4.0, try the command "failsafe" at the boot prompt, just before the penguin - his name is Tux. :) If this boots, then there is nothing wrong with the CD itself, the problem will be somewhere in the hardware detection. To figure out what, read on...

With regards to connecting to the Internet, did you try the documentation (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/) or the FAQs (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Category:FAQ_Page)?

HTH, SiKing.

Dark_W0lf
01-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Oh yeah , that was helpful ...
I didn't try failsafe , but i tryed the cd`s on another computer and worked just fine ... i think it's a hardware problem ...
About the internet connection ... i asked if someone can give me a step-by-step tutorial , not directions to the documentation ...
I almost forgot ... is there any tutorial about how to customize the knoppix cd , like with the themes on kde-look ? I don't want to copy the cd on my hdd and modify the knoppix on my hdd , i want to create a customized knoppix cd ...

Harry Kuhman
01-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I didn't try failsafe , but i tryed the cd`s on another computer and worked just fine ... i think it's a hardware problem ...
How fast did you burn the CD? We see this claim of working on one system therefor the disc must be good over and over again, but it frequently turns out to be a high speed burn. Yes, that is a hardware problem in the sense that a high speed burn is marginal and will read differently in different drives, but it can be solved by following the advice in the downloading faq.

Dark_W0lf
01-12-2006, 08:47 PM
at 12x ...
that`s not so urgent as the internet connection is ... so , please help me ... and the customization too ...