PDA

View Full Version : Newbie problems with remastering (long and involved)

merc
05-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Hello,

I am a longtime user of linux but new to Knoppix. I need to create a custom Knoppix CD
with ACPI kernel patches so that my soundcard works (hehe dont ask...funky laptop).

At any rate after creating a couple of coasters, I got comfortable with the remastering
process and finally created what I thought was a winner. I boot the CD-ROM, and
get the following error:

init not found; try passing init= to the kernel.

Alright, something obviously wrong. So I go out on a limb and try booting with:

knoppix init=/static/init

(which is what I believe to be the symlink to ash on the rootdisk). This actually does
something, but not what I expect. Instead of acting like init and running linuxrc (or
whatever init is supposed to do, Im a little fuzzy on that) I just get a root prompt. What
this tells me is that it found /static/ash on the miniroot, but why it isn't going on to
boot normally is beyond me. Furthermore. if I attempt to execute ./linuxrc from the root
shell, the normal colorful "Welcome to Knoppix!" message appears, and it seems to find
my KNOPPIX CD, it gives an error something like:

cp: cannot create /etc/ld.so.cache: /etc is a read-only filesystem

Which, I would expect, considering it's the miniroot (nothing should be written to miniroot).
It's as if whatever ram disk gets mounted for /etc isnt getting mounted.

At any rate you can tell it's one problem after another; I assume fixing the top one or two
would go a long way to explaining/fixing the others. I also have a feeling that someone with
a clue would easily be able to discern what I'm doing wrong given the symptoms...I just dont
have any clue. My miniroot.gz is setup just fine, as is boot.img, nothing else was changed
when "remastering" (all I was really doing is replacing a kernel). I have verified that the
working KNOPPIX CD I have is identical (seemingly) to my custom KNOPPIX CD's boot
files, but obviously something wrong.

To sum up:

1. Why does the kernel not find /static/init on it's own (kernel boots and miniroot expands correctly as far as I can tell)?
2. When knoppix is booted with init=/static/init, why am I given a normal root shell instead
of init (ash-knoppix) going on to continue the boot process normally.
3. Why aren't the correct ramdisks, etc. being created so that the linuxrc script can do it's work in /etc and other directories.

Thanks...I assume the answer is simple and owe whoever can help me out an immeasurable debt. :-)

Merc

merc
05-04-2003, 03:46 AM
Just thought I'd post that I found if I boot with:

knoppix init=/linuxrc

It starts booting as normal. Why it's not finding init otherwise is beyond me. However,
that at least is a fixable problem, I don't mind typing that. However the other problem
still remains. The linuxrc script seems to get fairly far in the initial stages of booting
(mounting cloop, etc) but at the very first attempt to write to / it fails. The portion
of linuxrc that chokes is:

if test -n "$FOUND_KNOPPIX"
then
# copy library cache
cat /KNOPPIX/etc/ld.so.cache > /etc/ld.so.cache
echo ""

The 'if' is true because it finds the compressed filesystem, but the cat fails because it says /etc is readonly filesystem. How does this get resolved?? I dont understand at what point /etc stops being the miniroot and becomes an area in ramdisk (and therefore becomes r/w).

Greg

neomarkprice48
05-08-2003, 10:51 PM
:?

hi my name is mark

can you replace a desktop background with a new background you have creatred and if yes can you tell me how as i'm a newbie.

thanx

ps with codes please.

casterman
05-23-2003, 11:00 PM
anyone knows about creating a new knoppix cd that support 2go of ram.
thanks
Kemal