PDA

View Full Version : k3b not mounting CD-RW drive

NeilBlanchard
01-11-2006, 02:27 AM
Greetings,

I have tried on two different machines to use k3b to burn CD-R's, and it fails. It seems that it is not able to mount the CD-RW drive. I understand I can use a root terminal session to do this:

chmod 755 /usr/bin/cdrecord.mmap

However, I do not know the root password, so I am not able to start a root terminal! :roll: Can anybody help me?

[Edit: I've got it -- another thread gave me the info: on the Knoppix (penguin) menu, there is a root shell. I entered the above command there -- and k3b now works!

This needs to be part of the Knoppix FAQ! Or, the root password needs to be made known? Obviously, that is not all that secure... ]

Thanks,

Neil

OErjan
01-11-2006, 07:43 PM
read the forums, the TOP topic in one of them is just that, what is root password.
the general forum to be precise.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
and top on that page is ::
Sticky: Root Password (what is it?) below is the link
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11500

NeilBlanchard
01-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Greetings,

Well, I guess I missed it. I did do a Search for "root AND password" and I looked at the first 6 or 8 results, but I did not see it. My bad. Obviously it is a very common question, and obviously lots of people miss the FAQ, too. I have used SuSE and Linspire, and I looked in all the places where I thought I could get to a root console, or to the root user.

I guess I was hoping to have it as part of the introduction HTML file that pops up when you boot Knoppix; or maybe a link to the FAQ.

Neil

A. Jorge Garcia
01-20-2006, 02:37 PM
OK, is that all there is to using cdrecord and k3b now? I haven't been able to burn a CD since KNOPPIX 3.7, so my burner PC still has 3.7 on a hdd partition.

If I reinstall that PC with KNOPPIX 4.0.2CD, will I be able to use cdrecord doing the above fix as root?

TIA,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
01-23-2006, 07:06 PM
BTW, the stated fix above doesn't make sense to me. chmod 755 will change the permissions on that file to -rwxr-xr-x. However, in 3.7, 3.8.1 and 4.0.2CD hdinstalled PCs the permissions are already -rwsr-xr-x. Does that "s" make a difference to the non-root user???

TIA,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
01-25-2006, 02:28 PM
OK, apparently my problem was that I was still trying to use --scanbus and this is no longer necessary. I guess I got confused with the errors cdrecord returned about poor compatibility with kernel 2.6!

In older versions of KNOPPIX, I used to issue the command line:
cdrecord -v speed=16 dev=0,0,0 *.iso after --scanbus read my burner as dev 0,0,0.

Now, with KNOPPIX 4.0.2CD knoppix-installered on a hdd partition, all I need is:
cdrecord -v speed=16 dev=/dev/cdrom *.iso since /etc/fstab lists my burner as /dev/cdrom.

Regards,
AJG