PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the chroot command

rklewis2
01-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm attempting to create my own distro for corporate use. I'm following the directions in last months Linux Format mag. I had some issues getting the required files copied over, but managed to circumvent that. I'm now at a point where I need to run the chroot command, to make changes to my distro - add/remove programs, etc...

I'm running the command, but it keeps telling me that there is no such file or directory.

The image drive is hdb1 (2nd hard drive), and I'm running in the root shell. Below is the command I'm attempting to run from the mnt directory:

chroot hdb1/mnt/drive/knoppix-tmp/source/KNOPPIX

I've also tried chroot /hdb1/mnt/drive/knoppix-tmp/source/KNOPPIX with no success.

I'm not sure why the system tells me that there is no such file or directory. Prior to running this command, I've mounted hdb1 with read/write access, and I am able to copy files over. The pc has Mandriva installed on hda1, but I'm actually running the chroot command from the cd.

Thanks alot for your suggestions!

rusty
01-12-2006, 02:34 AM
I'm probably missing something in your post but what I usually do to chroot into a drive is:

as root:

mkdir /mnt/hdx
mount /dev/hdx /mnt/hdx # with whatever options
chroot /mnt/hdx

then navigate the filesystem.

HTH