PDA

View Full Version : can not get online

Rik
01-12-2006, 06:01 AM
I have no problem getting online when running Windows XP, but when I run the KNOPPIX DVD it will not connect.

The network card identifies as 3COM 3C900B TPO (generic) in Windows.

With Knoppix 4.0.2 on DVD I only get the loopback. Have used the netcardconfig to try to get a DHCP IP address but that fails.

Trying to set IP manually does not work either.

During loading of Knoppix I see the eth0.

Suggestions for a Linux newbie?

Thanks

UnderScore
01-12-2006, 06:41 AM
use the comand: lspci -v
to see what hardware it is identifying

use the command: lsmod | sort
to get a list of loaded drivers. you hould see one entry as 3c90x

use the command: dmesg | grep -i eth
to see what drive & details if any it has loaded

use the command: ifconfig -a
to list all detected nework devices

Rik
01-13-2006, 03:13 AM
Thanks,

lspci -v found my modem, 3Com network card and Matrox video card

lsmod | sort first item is 3c59x, further down the list is mii 3c59x

dmesg | grep -i eth no response

ifconfig -a eth0 lo sit0 all show errors:0

Rik
01-13-2006, 03:26 AM
I do notice that when I run netcardconfig and do a DHCP broadcast, the light for the port on my linksys router goes out and then comes back on. Seems some activity is there.

Rik
01-13-2006, 03:34 AM
Network Tools - Devices only shows loopback.

Rik
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
ping 192.168.1.1 to Linksys router fails

Rik
01-13-2006, 04:21 AM
ifconfig eth0 up

returns:

SIOCSIFFLAGS: permission denied

Rik
01-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Success!!

I am posting this message via Knoppix!

I never could get a DHCP but I started playing around with the various manual IP addressesin netcardconfig and got it to work.

tdjokic
01-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Success!!

I am posting this message via Knoppix!

I never could get a DHCP but I started playing around with the various manual IP addressesin netcardconfig and got it to work.

This can be put in Wiki or something like that (I personaly can't do that, bad english, not enough knowledge)!

I have plain ADSL modem, D-Link DSL-300T. Modem is setup as bridge, as my IP said to me. Every Linux distribution ask me for different setup, some can't connect at all. Network card can be setup, in general, in 3 ways - DHCP, static and "none". Than, you try and try and try.... Some distribution are smart enough to do by itself, other not. But, the most important thing is to know that there is a way to connect.

Rik
01-13-2006, 07:32 PM
It was an interesting experience. I think getting the correct gateway and DNS IP's in the manual setup is what made the difference. I used another computer running XP to log into my Linksys router and got the needed IP's there.