PDA

View Full Version : Linux boot woes

chipyoung
01-12-2006, 10:45 PM
I have just finished installing Knoppix 4.0 on my hard drive using the instructions in the wiki. I have been successful with the live version but I wanted a full install on my box.

I have Windows XP on the first partition of a single hard drive of 80 gigs. I installed a Linux swap partition of 1gig as my second partition. The third partition was 15 Gigs for the Knoppix install.

I can boot to windows just fine, but when I try to get to my Knoppix I get the following error message.
"kernal panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown - block (8,3)."

I will assume that my kernel is not on that block (yea yea yea).

My Grub file reads as follows for the Linux section of the boot,

root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.612 root=/dev/sda3 ro ### isk_size=100000 in initrd /boot initrd.img-2.6.12
savedefault
boot

actually my swap partition is the second partition on the drive. and the Linux partition is the third, it looks like it's looking at the swap partition for the kernal on (hd0,2).

Does this grub file look okay? Being a newbie I didn't like the looks of the "###" in this file.

Could someone please help. I'm just trying to rid myself of Mr. B Gates and company.

Thank you in advance,
Chip

I was able to get this boot working by removing the ### and making it read ro ramdisk. :)