PDA

View Full Version : Persistent disk image questions

martynguk2002
01-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi,
Newbie here.
I am enjoying using knoppix CD and am very impressed it.

I have a few questions about the persistent disk image.
I havent tried to use it yet as I don't want my Hard drive to be alterd.

If I use my hard drive does it save the disk image as a file or does it add a new partition?
I understand I can also use a USB memory stick for a disk image, would the image be saved as a file and would I still be able to use it under windows?

Also what information is stored in the disk image? If I set up my email and save a disk image would that data be stored?
If I installed a new program could that information be stored too?

What I am thinking is the posibility to use a live CD with a USB memory stick and use knoppix as if it were installed on my hard drive.

Also one more unrelated question, what is the diffrence between the live CD and DVD? I assume the DVD has more software pre-installed? is it woth using the live DVD for a newbie?

Thanks for your time.

Rik
01-13-2006, 11:19 PM
I am new to Knoppix and had the same concern, but decided to save it on a non-primary HD. It is just a file. When (if) you launch in Windows, it will just be a file on your HD. I can see no ill effects.

Rik
01-13-2006, 11:25 PM
You might also want to read these recent messages:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22804

I was not aware of this and it is only luck that of the three HDs I have in this PC 2 are NTFS and one is FAT and the FAT HD is the one I saved the persistent image on.

OErjan
01-14-2006, 01:33 PM
i have a external usb hdd (not a pen) it is 120G in size and i have a 1G persistent home on it.
be certain that you save the image to a FAT partition or a FAT formated pen...
or ofcource some Linux format.

Rik
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
OErian, when you save a file to Home does this actually save it to the persistant file, or do you also have to write over the old persistant file with a new one at the end of each session in order to save them to the HD?

OErjan
01-14-2006, 03:26 PM
it usualy saves it in the persistent home. the configs are saved in the two config files (you hget 3 files in all on the disk if you save everything)

martynguk2002
01-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the replys. I have tested it on a 64mb USB stick and works well, Desktop background, email settings etc are all stored. One thing im not 100% on is what diffrent information is stored in a Persistant disk image than just saving config? do I need to use both or if I use a PDI does that save the same info as save config?

Also If I boot and ask knoppix to load a config file (knoppix config=scan at boot prompt) as well as having my PDI restored does the system check what diffrent USB devices are attached or does the information from the config or PDI force the system to expect the same devices that were attached when the images were made? Does that make sence?

Basically I have my 64mb USB stick with PDI and config saved always in & is always mountable.
I also have a 120GB USB hard drive not mountable now but has been used and an IPOD again not mountable but I have used it in the past. when I created the PDI and saved config I unplugged the 120GB Hdd and iPOD while knoppix was running so Icons still showed on Desktop (so that I didnt accidently wipe them or something). now when I boot I cannot mount either USB HDD or iPOD eventhough their icons are on the Desktop?

OErjan
01-14-2006, 10:39 PM
right-klick and unmount if you are uncertain, do NOT unplug until unmounted.
actually removing something without unmounting is BAD!
it is one &(/&(/ of a risk that you corupt the data stored on those devices severely, AND you would upset the permanent home/saved configs equaly badly.

try to do it all over again, the risk of wiping is multiplied when you remove like that.
I repeat
save everything right-klick and unmount if you are uncertain, do NOT unplug until unmounted.