PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Wireless Optical Explorer mouse problem.

CMDR Sweeper
01-15-2006, 05:58 PM
I got the classic "Mouse is not working" problem here.
However, nothing I do seems to help in making it work.
It is connected via USB and I have checked in my BIOS for USB settings and I only found two of them.

Enhance USB support and Enable USB Keyboard.
Tried them both and I still got a mouse cursor that doesn't want to move, AT ALL.

I have tried to use the modprobe command but neither that works the way it is supposed to.
My main interrest for trying Knoppix was the KNOPPIX STD release but the mouse fails to work in that as well.
I also have a ethernet freezing problem that is only curable with the "Knoppix nodhcp" upon boot.

If it is of any help, this is the hardware I am using:

Motherboard: EPoX 8RDA+ nForce 2.
RAM: Corsair 1024 Mb PC 3200 RAM
GFX: Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600.
CPU: AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ @2100 MHz.

So does anyone have any good tips for me to try?

Harry Kuhman
01-15-2006, 07:13 PM
I have a USB mouse on my notebook (my main Knoppix system) and it has never failed to work. Yet you are not the only report of USB mouse problems I've seen. I would suggest first, if you have one, try another USB mouse. The problem could well be Knoppix and your motherboard hardware however. Recent versions of Knoppix seem to have more USB problems than old versions (this just an observation from the posts here; I have not seen them first hand). You didn't say what versions of Knoppix and STD you are using. If it's the recent versions of both you might want to try something older (pre 3.9 on Knoppix or the 2 year old version of STD). If these don't work then I'm out of ideas, but if they do then you know it's the recent Knoppix USB bug that a few others have reported.