PDA

View Full Version : v4.0.2 boot error

skygeek
01-16-2006, 08:24 PM
I am very new to linux and downloaded knoppix becuase in all of my searches said it was the best to try becuase it does'nt require an install. It's not going so well this way.

I finaly got the CD to burn correctly and it gives me an error about "file system not found, dropping you to a shell"

ok. The FAQ page said that this could be a device driver problem. I don't know how to check that under linux. The FAQ also said something about DMA not being supported or being supported by default but not anymore...........little confusing........I tried again and the same thing happens over and over again.
One other thing was that when I remove the CD and go back into windows and try to browse the CD to see if the image took there is no files there. It says the CD is full but with no files. It's a different file sytem I get that, is there any way to check and make sure the image took correctly? Verify one thing at a time right, start with the simplest things first.

I appreciate your help and look forward to your response so I can start getting into linux like I should have done a long time ago! :)

thanks everyone!

Harry Kuhman
01-17-2006, 01:16 AM
.... It's a different file sytem I get that, is there any way to check and make sure the image took correctly? Verify one thing at a time right,....
No, it's a standard ISO 9660 file system; you should be able to see the entire file structure under windows or linux, even that limited shell you mentioned.

You mention the faq several times but didn't say which faq. All issues covering this problem should be in the Downloading Faq, including the testcd option that will verify the files on the disc for you. And it will tell you to burn slowy, which is my best guess so far as to what your problem is.

ruymbeke
01-17-2006, 01:59 AM
I am very new to linux and downloaded knoppix becuase in all of my searches said it was the best to try becuase it does'nt require an install. It's not going so well this way.

I finaly got the CD to burn correctly and it gives me an error about "file system not found, dropping you to a shell"

ok. The FAQ page said that this could be a device driver problem. I don't know how to check that under linux. The FAQ also said something about DMA not being supported or being supported by default but not anymore...........little confusing........I tried again and the same thing happens over and over again.
One other thing was that when I remove the CD and go back into windows and try to browse the CD to see if the image took there is no files there. It says the CD is full but with no files. It's a different file sytem I get that, is there any way to check and make sure the image took correctly? Verify one thing at a time right, start with the simplest things first.

I appreciate your help and look forward to your response so I can start getting into linux like I should have done a long time ago! :)

thanks everyone!

Hello,
If the CD is burned properly, you should see its content under windows as well as with Linux.
In the KNOPPIX directory of the cd, there is a md5sums file which could be used to verify the integrity of each one of the files of the CD.
But the best way is probably to use the "knoppix testcd" cheatcode at boot time.
Hope this helps,
Gilles

skygeek
01-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Is that in the FAQ somewhere or can someone step that out for me. can I type "testcd" at the prompt when it dumps me to a shell? Is there a better way to learn this stuff than what I'm doing or are you guys a fan of the "dive in" approach?

I did verify the download with the MD5 files but did not for the burnt cd. I downloaded a windows program that verified the image with the MD5 files. I don't remember what it's called, I'll have to check when I get home.

Again thanks for all your help everone.

KK

ruymbeke
01-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Is that in the FAQ somewhere or can someone step that out for me. can I type "testcd" at the prompt when it dumps me to a shell? Is there a better way to learn this stuff than what I'm doing or are you guys a fan of the "dive in" approach?

I did verify the download with the MD5 files but did not for the burnt cd. I downloaded a windows program that verified the image with the MD5 files. I don't remember what it's called, I'll have to check when I get home.

Again thanks for all your help everone.

KK
At the knoppix boot prompt(first knoppix graphical screen when booting from the cd),
type "knoppix testcd" (+ enter key) instead of just pressing the enter key or waiting for the time out
(which would be equivalent to typing "knoppix" + enter key)
Best Regards,
Gilles

skygeek
01-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone. I will try that when I get home.

For you guys with experience, do you think my "just jump in" approach to learning Linux/Knoppix is a good way to go, or do you have suggestions on something more structure or somewhere to start..."with the basics". Be good to see how all of you got to where you are.

Thanks again everyone

KK

OErjan
01-18-2006, 06:56 PM
jumping in and being prepared to study is one way.
To get the basics you can go through the tutorial at floppix homepage (floppix NOT knoppix).
http://floppix.com/index.html
to be precise
http://floppix.com/labs.html
when you know that you have a good start in linux, from there is is mainly to read man pages and tutorials/howtos... on spacific subjects.

ruymbeke
01-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I will try that when I get home.
For you guys with experience, do you think my "just jump in" approach to learning Linux/Knoppix is a good way to go, or do you have suggestions on something more structure or somewhere to start..."with the basics". Be good to see how all of you got to where you are.
Thanks again everyone
KK
In the books directory of the Knoppix 4.02 DVD, you will find the pdf file of a book called Knowing Knoppix
which is a very good way to start playing with Knoppix. You can also dowload it from:
http://www.pjls16812.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/knowing-knoppix/index.html
O'reilly also have a good book call Knoppix Hacks by Kyle Rankin:
http://books.google.com/books?q=knoppix+hacks&oi=print
Hope this helps,
Gilles