PDA

View Full Version : CD-RW with Knoppix and ability to save users files?

mrdivad
01-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Hi i am interested in developing a mobile workspace environment. What i require is a bootable CD-RW that contains Knoppix, but which will also allow me to save files/work/downloads etc back to the same CD-RW at the end of a session. Is this possible? Can i have Knoppix installed to the CD and simply use the free space on the CD-RW as a file store? I would like to do this so all i need is one CD-RW will the OS, programs and my files all on one CD :) I think its a pretty neat idea but im not sure how to go about achieving this or even if its possible. Any help would be most apreciated

Many thanks

Dave

dvryknopper
01-24-2006, 12:20 AM
You should try a DVD-RW disk, CD-RW will not have enough space as the OS is 700 mb in size, and about the OS files, did you mean you needed files other the ones provided by the ftp for Knoppix?

Harry Kuhman
01-24-2006, 01:36 AM
You should try a DVD-RW disk, CD-RW will not have enough space as the OS is 700 mb in size, and about the OS files, did you mean you needed files other the ones provided by the ftp for Knoppix?
A DVD will have more space, but isn't going to do anything to address the basic issue. It sounds like what the user wants is to do packet writing, treating the RW disc as if it was a hard disk, and that is not consistant with the way the Knoppix disc is done. I have written additional sessions to a disk with Knoppix variants on the first session owever, but only for a proof of concept of a recovery technique.

mrdivad
01-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Harry is correct, i want to boot the os (strip a lot of unwanted progs out to make more space) and use the free space on the cd as if it were a hard drive. If packet writing is not possible is there another way? I see puppy uses sessions but this isnt really what i want and it appears to not like cd-rw. Does anyone know of a way of achieving this?