PDA

View Full Version : V3.2-2003-05-03

Stephen
05-04-2003, 03:54 AM
Changelog:
* V3.2-2003-05-03
- hpijs Inkjet driver update
- lilo update (22.5.2-1 w/ fixed raid support)
- Rotate PNG and JPEG pictures from KDE contextmenu
- Added: qtparted, libsmbclient, ethtool
- The usual updates

rickenbacherus
05-04-2003, 05:19 AM
Bygolly them fellers are workin' overtime on that there Knoppix!

Know anything about that ethtool Stephen?

Stephen
05-04-2003, 05:37 AM
Bygolly them fellers are workin' overtime on that there Knoppix!

Know anything about that ethtool Stephen?

Not yet but my download is about 20 min from finish so I will in about an hour. :wink: I want to try qtparted again too it failed and froze the computer on me in the 04-28.

rickenbacherus
05-04-2003, 06:27 AM
what is it like 2:30 AM way up there in the cold cold north?

Stephen
05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Yeah it's getting late hockey was on it's the playoffs. Ethtool lets you find all kinds of settings for your eth card and configure them also. Qtparted works well I took a couple of partitions and expanded the extended one and recreated the old one inside worked perfectly it even formated it ext3. Had to start from the console and there was a warning about opening a reiser partition not being supported in the console when I closed the program.

aay
05-05-2003, 04:33 AM
Qtparted works well I took a couple of partitions and expanded the extended one and recreated the old one inside worked perfectly it even formated it ext3.

That sounds great. I'm really glad qtp got included in Knoppix. I look forward to seeing it improve. If any of you get a chance to see how it handles repartitioning windows fs' I'd love to hear about it (esp NTFS). Supposedly it can resize NTFS.

rickenbacherus
05-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Qtparted works well I took a couple of partitions and expanded the extended one and recreated the old one inside worked perfectly it even formated it ext3.

That sounds great. I'm really glad qtp got included in Knoppix. I look forward to seeing it improve. If any of you get a chance to see how it handles repartitioning windows fs' I'd love to hear about it (esp NTFS). Supposedly it can resize NTFS.

Oh shucks I don't have an NT partition to test it on. Whatever will I do? I know! I'll actually get some computing done. Really tho- it would be great to see an open source project take some of that market away from PM now wouldn't it? Soon I will be trying QTP out getting ready for my new Gentoo install. yup

jdiercks
05-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Soon I will be trying QTP out getting ready for my new Gentoo install. yup

Ah, someone else who likes *both* extremes - knoppix is all about instant gratification, gentoo is about building it all from scratch, painstakingly tweaking until you get everything just so. Both have their place, and in my book having experience at both ends of the spectrum makes for a well rounded geek. 8)

mabhatter
05-05-2003, 11:57 PM
re: jdiercks

Now if we could just get a Gentoo e-build script for building a Koppix CD!

Then we could have carefully tweaked & instant gratification??

hapbt
05-06-2003, 05:01 PM
any updates to the alsa configuration?
like having alsa autoconfigure itself after an install to the hd ?
maybe just a update to the knx-hdinstall script would do this

Stephen
05-06-2003, 06:23 PM
any updates to the alsa configuration?
like having alsa autoconfigure itself after an install to the hd ?
maybe just a update to the knx-hdinstall script would do this

Yes try /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig in a console to configure alsa after HD install.

Viro
05-07-2003, 12:54 AM
There seems to be a bug in apt-get. It basically doesn't work. You can apt-get update, and still you won't find packages that are most definitely there.

Example:
apt-get update
apt-get install tuxracer

That fails, and says that package tuxracer doesn't exist. That's a bummer, because one of the previous releases had this problem too.

Hope it gets fixed soon.

aay
05-07-2003, 05:06 PM
There seems to be a bug in apt-get. It basically doesn't work. You can apt-get update, and still you won't find packages that are most definitely there.

Example:
apt-get update
apt-get install tuxracer

That fails, and says that package tuxracer doesn't exist. That's a bummer, because one of the previous releases had this problem too.

Hope it gets fixed soon.

Anyone else verified this? It should be added to knoppix.net/bugs if so. Is it possibly just a problem with sources.list?

qa1433
05-07-2003, 08:17 PM
I am no expert, but what tree (stable, testing, etc.) was Tuxracer on?

Could be a problem with the tree and dependencies.

Try apt-get -s install (whatever)

The -s option may give you info as to why it won't install.

paul 8)

Viro
05-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Doesn't really matter. Tuxracer was just an example. Replace tuxracer with package of choice (I tried dia, ogle, ogle-gui, xracer, etc). Problem persists.

kovacszoltan
05-08-2003, 08:56 PM
When remastering I usually get all the packages I'd like to install, copy them to /mnt/hda9/knx/source/KNOPPIX/root and then I chroot there and run
dpkg --install *
I hope this helped...
Zoltan

hapbt
05-09-2003, 04:54 PM
i have been running 050303 since it came out and have been apt-getting like a madman...
so far except for some broken packages i have had no problems....

genzo
05-11-2003, 05:27 PM
i just noticed, because i'm not sure when the last working release was, that pdfcrypt no longer works with pdflatex. it used to work great.. i'm sure at least in v3.1. i'm pretty sure i've tried it since 3.2..

anyone have any ideas? i suppose it's something that i can't fix unless i remaster?

here's the error message:

knoppix@ttyp2[work]$ pdflatex report
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.10b (Web2C 7.4.5)
(./report.tex{/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german, ngerman, d
utch, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2001/04/21 v1.4e Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size12.clo))
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/oberdiek/pdfcrypt.sty

! Package pdfcrypt Error: PDF encryption is not supported with this pdfTeX.

See the pdfcrypt package documentation for explanation.
Type H <return> for immediate help.

l.128 }
%
?

shawngiese
05-12-2003, 09:14 AM
When did they update that? This is great, a hot network testing tool on a CDROM! It works great and can bombard my network routers quickly from just about anywhere! Knoppix may be the only reason I buy a USB drive :)

hapbt
05-12-2003, 06:19 PM
whenever i burn a cd with cdrecord, when it's completely done burning, it gives me an error message which, if i was in knoppix at the moment, i could post here (i promise i will post it later but i have to switch hds). i am in redhat now, and am burning cds on the same hardware (plextor 8432 ide) without any errors. the error i get from cdrecord comes AFTER the cd appears to be fixated, the cds appear to work fine, and it says there is no error code, yet it shows me error no less. something about a plextor get speedlist cmd failing...
well i know this isn't helpful without the error so i'll get about to switching HDs and test it and post the error, but i wanted to make sure my drive worked before i posted anything. i have burned two trillion cds with this plextor under redhat before switching to knoppix though so i thought maybe it had finally died.

brian03
05-12-2003, 09:03 PM
When did they update that? This is great, a hot network testing tool on a CDROM! It works great and can bombard my network routers quickly from just about anywhere! Knoppix may be the only reason I buy a USB drive :)

I'm a 1/2-newbie. Linux since '97, but only now departing Windows.
What great tool do you mean? Nessus 2.01? You found it on Knoppix v3.1?

I have a USB drive and I would like to save my Knoppix configuration between boots. Where can I find out how to do this?

hapbt
05-13-2003, 07:01 AM
this is the output from cdrecord ...

root@banstyle:/mnt/hda2/iso# cdrecord --verbose --dev=0,0 --speed=8 miniwoody.iso
Cdrecord 2.01a10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
atapi: 1
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : 'PLEXTOR '
Identifikation : 'CD-R PX-W8432T'
Revision : '1.09'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC SWABAUDIO
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 2394336 = 2338 KB
FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data 174 MB
Total size: 200 MB (19:49.57) = 89218 sectors
Lout start: 200 MB (19:51/43) = 89218 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
Indicated writing power: 5
Is not unrestricted
Is not erasable
Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
ATIP start of lead in: -11634 (97:26/66)
ATIP start of lead out: 359846 (79:59/71)
Disk type: Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
Blocks total: 359846 Blocks current: 359846 Blocks remaining: 270628
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 8 in real TAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write 0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Performing OPC...
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01: 174 of 174 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf 96%] 8.4x.
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 182714368/182714368 (89216 sectors).
Writing time: 160.916s
Average write speed 7.7x.
Min drive buffer fill was 94%
Fixating...
Fixating time: 35.679s
cdrecord: Input/output error. plextor get speedlist: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: EB 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x20 Qual 0x00 (invalid command operation code) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
cdrecord: fifo had 2878 puts and 2878 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 2003 times full, min fill was 95%.
root@banstyle:/mnt/hda2/iso#

shawngiese
05-13-2003, 07:18 AM

I'm a 1/2-newbie. Linux since '97, but only now departing Windows.
What great tool do you mean? Nessus 2.01? You found it on Knoppix v3.1?

I have a USB drive and I would like to save my Knoppix configuration between boots. Where can I find out how to do this?

Nope I found it on 3.2. Nessus is fully described at http://www.nessus.org/ . The latest version is 2.05 but 2.01 is fine for now.

As for the USB drive. I have yet to buy it but am seriously thinking about it.

Stephen
05-13-2003, 08:44 AM
[quote=shawngiese]

It just gets mounted as a scsi drive (sd??) where ?? = drive letter and partition number. Use the search box in the upper right for more information it has been posted and discussed before.

brian03
05-13-2003, 03:19 PM
[quote=shawngiese]

It just gets mounted as a scsi drive (sd??) where ?? = drive letter and partition number. Use the search box in the upper right for more information it has been posted and discussed before.

I was not clear. Sorry. My USB drive works great under Knoppix. But having that, I don't know how to save/restore configuration between boots. I've read of boot parameters myconfig=~ and home=~, but my Knoppix (v3.1) appears to ignore them, and they don't show in the "cheat sheet" documentation.

BTW, I keep selecting to view directories on the KDE desktop as lists rather than icons, but the selection won't "stick". How can I make this a saved preference?

brian03
05-13-2003, 03:26 PM
[quote=shawngiese]

I was not clear. Sorry. My USB drive works great under Knoppix. But having that, I don't know how to save/restore configuration between boots. I've read of boot parameters myconfig=~ and home=~, but my Knoppix (v3.1) appears to ignore them, and they don't show in the "cheat sheet" documentation.

BTW, I keep selecting to view directories on the KDE desktop as lists rather than icons, but the selection won't "stick". How can I make this a saved preference?

Cancel that. I used the forum search function and found a bunch to read. Let me digest that. I'll repost if I still can't figure it out. (But I am still interested in how to make the folder list view stick!)

javakid
06-03-2003, 08:26 AM
I am happier than ever with my Knoppix CD. The 2003-05-03 build was the first 3.2 build I have tried. It is more eye-catching than ever.

With qtparted I can now resize my NTFS partition to make room for linux without using an unlicensed copy of Partition Magic. This does wonders for my conscience, and I love having one more reason I can use to get people to try Knoppix (and thus linux).