PDA

View Full Version : XP/NTFS

tycopolis
01-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Hello all... I'm trying to do a simple repair on an XP box. hal.dll needs to be replaced. The error that I got on the XP machine was:

Windos root\system32\hal.dll missing

I have a copy of the file from a working XP machine, and am trying to copy it to the machine with the error. How do I do this with knoppix and ntfs?

UnderScore
01-18-2006, 11:33 PM
We tell all people who intend to use Knoppix to write to a NTFS drive that Knoppix in most cases can not reliably (possibly destroy) a NTFS filesystem. Older versions of Knoppix (i think 3.6 & 3.7) has captive NTFS (http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6261). Knoppix 4.0.2 has
- Updated NTFS read-write support using libntfs CVS version and fuse*)

(*)A free (GPL) NTFS write support is currently under development. Experimental-friendly testers may find the corresponding tools and instructions for accessing rw-mounts of NTFS-Partitions, on the DVD (use at your own risk).
You are welcome to attempt it with Knoppix 4.0.2 but there is always a risk of losing all your data. It would be easier to take the hard drive out of that PC and attach it as a slave to another working PC. Then boot up the working PC & copy the file.

Harry Kuhman
01-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Knoppix just cannot write safely to NTFS. A quick Google search indcates that this hal.dll problem is just yet another very common XP problem. The fix is suggested to be done by booting the original Windows CD and using the recovery console. If you are one of the victims of manufacturers who did not provide a real bootable windows CD with recovery console and either only supplied software on hard disk or replaced the Windows CD with a special CD they made that only does an all-or-nothing reinstall then you have a beef with your manufacturer and hopefully have learned something (if not maybe you'll learn next time).

tycopolis
01-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks a bunch... I'll just remove the drive and slave to a working PC. Thanks again for the info, very much appreciated.

sakiZ
01-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Good advice as usual from the moderators.

For the long run I would suggest getting Bart's PE. It's a grey-area legally, :-) but this can give you a bootable Windows CD with NTFS file support built in.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

It's not Knoppix, but it is useful.

sakiZ