PDA

View Full Version : Cannot write to portable storage

Gaj
01-23-2006, 02:06 AM
Hello! I just got Knoppix a few days ago, and just worked my way into getting it online, so here I am. :)

Firstly, I'm very sorry if there is already a topic adressing it; I searched a lot, but didn't find anything pertinent.
Secondly, I'm very new to Linux, but a few of my friends give rave reviews and said knoppix was the easiest to run. I'm not too keen on partitioning my harddrive, so I'm just running off the live CD.

So, onto my actual question. As stated before, I'm running Knoppix (right now, actually) off a live CD, just to see if I can get used to this whole Linux thing. However, I still have papers to write, and I would like to be able to save them. I have a portable storage device, a "cruzer mini 512" flash drive, USB 2.0. Knoppix sees it, and I can open up the files, but I can't save to them. I have the permissions set to read and write for the individual files and the drive as a whole, but when I save a file to it, I get this message: "The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to file:///mnt/sda1/[My Name's]%20Stuff/test.h. Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is availabe." Just as a note, I did take out my name, because I'm paranoid like that. :shock:

Now, as I look, using konqueror, I see that I have three hard disks. One is /UNIONFS/dev/hda1, the other hda2, and the last sda1. Now, I don't know where hda2 came from, but hda1, as I can see, is my computer's hard drive, and the sda1 is the portable storage device. All of them have "0 B" for size, and all of them are called "mounted hard disk volume".

So, in short, how do I save files of whatever sort to sda1, my portable storage?

Thank you very much,
Gaj.

angor
01-23-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm not running the latest Knoppix, so take what I say with a grain of salt...

Probably your sda1 is mounted read-only (for safety's sake). In that case
right-click om its icon and remount it read-write (could be under a submenu
called "Action"). Don't forget to unmount the device before pulling it out of its slot.

HTH

Gaj
01-23-2006, 12:33 PM
That was exactly it! Thank you very much! :)