PDA

View Full Version : Ati drivers & Knoppix Live CD

Wishmaster79
01-23-2006, 04:15 AM
Hello. I'm new at Linux. I'm using Knoppix Live CD because my hdd is working bad, but I could make a partition to make persistent changes. I could configure all devices except my video card. It's an Ati Radeon 9600 SE. Is there any way to install its drivers and make the changes persistent?
Thnx in advance.

This is what I get when I try to install official driver downloaded from ati webpage:

<esktop/fglrx-4-3-0_8.21.7-2_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
(Reading database ... 98746 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fglrx-4-3-0 (from .../fglrx-4-3-0_8.21.7-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing //home/knoppix/Desktop/fglrx-4-3-0_8.21.7-2_i386.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/bin/aticonfig', which is also in package fglrx-driver
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
//home/knoppix/Desktop/fglrx-4-3-0_8.21.7-2_i386.deb
RESULT=1

I think it's trying to overwrite a file from the cd... I would be so happy if I could setup my video card... it's the last device unconfigured I have ;)

Wishmaster79
01-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Hi, anyone?

Wishmaster79
01-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Hello

Wishmaster79
01-31-2006, 05:36 AM
I tried to install other ATI driver. In the last step before start the installation, it tells me I have 2 mb free and it need 38 mb, but my persistent partition is 2 gb size and it has more than 1.5 gb free... what is happening?

OErjan
01-31-2006, 05:24 PM
it might be that it is looking inyour / (ramdisk) not much room there.
you will have to do some "tricks" to get that driver installed, using mount-bind,-o loop, some links...
I have no ATI card so I can not be very precice,
Basicaly you need to find out WHERE the files go and make images in your permanent home that you format and mount as "target" for the files, see them as "virtuall mini partitions". this should work, might be somewhat overly complicated, but should work (atleast with some tweaking).
if you then edit /etc/fstab and save the config... chances are good it will work ok even after reboot.
but as always there likely are more ways in linux, I would guess a remaster would be another way, likely many other.