PDA

View Full Version : Boot from second partition

Mega
01-23-2006, 07:31 AM
I have extracted the bootable cd image to a hard drive partition so i can boot from my hard drive just like booting from a cd. My primary partition is a windows xp. I also have xosl installed but when i try to boot from the knoppix partition i get a non system disk error and it goes back to xosl. I need a way to write the exact image file to the partition even if i causes the full space not to be used. I have done this before with a usb drive. I formated as a floppy and only 1.44 mb was recognized. the cdrom in the computer i am trying to load knoppix on is bad and it is a laptop. I have an external but the laptop is old and will not boot from usb. If you have any idea how i can setup the partition i made to boot knoppix(cd version) let me know Email is megaphreak25@yahoo.com. Or if there is a boot disk that will let you boot from a shared drivethat will work also. Or if a bios networrk boot is some how possible.

Thanks Mega

nad
01-23-2006, 01:25 PM
The bootable cd image points to initialization files and root file system on a ... cd drive.

Perhaps others with more knowledge of the specifics will chime in, however, my understanding is that you will have to point your boot loader to the initialization files on your partition and configure grub and /etc/fstab to use the correct devices.

:edit

Some several posts down on the parent page:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796

end edit: