PDA

View Full Version : Running Knoppix on an IBM Thinkpad T42

Tweekerfiend
01-24-2006, 12:57 AM
I have and IBM thinkpad T42 that has an Intel Pentium M 1.6gig processor, 256mb ram, and a 40 gig hdd. I am using Knoppix 4.0.2 and running it from the cd and would like to continue to do so. It loads perfectly fine the problem I encounter is getting the wireless NIC to work. I have used wlcardconfig and net config it is detected as eth0 using iwconfig and shows the wireless extensions the ssid and my WEP key. The networks card is an intel PRO/Wireless 2200bg. I am pretty new to Linux only having taken one class to get a feel for it. I have read this thread

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22713&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10&sid=8e3279e314bf4a96e6b55a5260e0edfd

and tried most if not all of the suggestions in there and I am still unable to connect to the web while using knoppix. I think that I may have to download the drivers for my NIC. If so is there a way to keep the drivers and not have to reinstall them everytime I would like to use Knoppix? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW the router that I am using is a DLink Dl-524 hope this helps I would really like to be able to use Knoppix as a starting point for learning Linux until I am able to build another computer to run it on.

Update
Got the network adapter running and communicating with the router I still have a few questions and I am very sorry to have wasted valuable space. For my other questions I guess I will have to spend some time looking around the forum. BTW Knoppix runs very nicely on an IBM Thinkpad T42

OErjan
01-24-2006, 03:29 PM
so would almost all Linux distributions :-) IBM is nice that way.