PDA

View Full Version : Langa Letter - Knoppix and Morphix

monkymind
05-05-2003, 02:32 AM
There's a three page article at Informationweek about Knoppix and Morphix.
It's generally very positive but also a little shallow.
eg :-

But unlike Knoppix, Morphix also can easily be installed onto a hard drive, avoiding the performance bottleneck of running the operating system from a CD; and also making it simpler to save custom configurations .....

SuSE Live-Eval tries to avoid one of Knoppix's major drawbacks, the inability to save session- or configuration data,

You can read the full article here:-
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=9400393

rob

aay
05-05-2003, 04:08 AM
"But unlike Knoppix, Morphix also can easily be installed onto a hard drive..., avoiding the performance bottleneck of running the operating system from a CD; and also making it simpler to save custom configurations .....

SuSE Live-Eval tries to avoid one of Knoppix's major drawbacks, the inability to save session- or configuration data,

You can read the full article here:-
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=9400393

rob[/quote]

Not just shallow - wrong! Knoppix can both be installed and can save its session configurarion data.

monkymind
05-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Not just shallow - wrong! Knoppix can both be installed and can save its session configurarion data.

I know... it was my way of politely pointing out the author hadn't bothered to do any research before publishing :wink:

rob
PS. Since Knoppix can be used in so many ways (terminal server .. partimage .. persistant home .. rdesktop .. samba ... etc .. etc) it'd be nice to see something beyond the "it boots & runs off the CD in a few minutes" stories 8)

rickenbacherus
05-08-2003, 04:39 AM
I sent a "you're an idiot and you should do some research before writing an article" email to Langa (well ok the editors really). I'm sure he caught hell for it.

Alextreme
05-10-2003, 04:52 PM
heh, i didn't really mind, although it still is wrong ;)