PDA

View Full Version : cannot determine filesystem type

Flipster
01-25-2006, 01:34 AM
I was wondering if someone could help me with my dillema. I have a Linkstation HD-H160LAN which recently died on me. Once the system is turned on, it goes into EM mode and flashed 6 times which indicated HD or Hardware problem. I read some forums and spoke to Buffalotech that it is possible to recover my files with Knoppix. I was able to run the Knoppix Version 4.0.2 without any troubles but I am unable to mount the HD. (I was able to open the LS and removed the HD and is connected to my desktop running Knoppix). The reply I get whenever I try to mount the HD is:

mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

I could use as much assistance that I can get since Buffalotech, tho is willing to replace my Linkstation, does not guarantee that I'll be able to regain my files. I am trying to get my files out first before sending the system to them.

FYI I tried installing the same HD on another Linkstation but got the same results, tho when it runs its own HD, it is fine. Please help me regain my files back.

Flipster

rusty
01-25-2006, 02:54 AM
What happens if you take a known to work drive out of a linkstation and try it with knoppix? If it can be seen/mounted then my guess is the drive in question is damaged to the point where only a special shop could recover data. Testing a similar drive first might save you a lot of aggravation.

HTH

nad
01-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Good reply above.

In addition, once you have powered on your diagnostic machine, use its bios editor to see if the drive is even recognized. If not, you likley have a bios configuration, cabling, jumper or other hardware problem. If it is recognized, use your system logs to find any information. The command: " dmesg | grep -i hd " in a terminal window will spew out much startup info concerning your connected PATA drives.

Post back with any output. This is only the very begining of a data recovery.