PDA

View Full Version : basic auto mount question

A. Jorge Garcia
01-25-2006, 03:23 PM
I just hdinstalled my whole computer science lab with KNOPPIX 4.0.2CD for my students. We used to have way older versions of KNOPPIX where we had to mount disks the old fashioned way. Now, it seemes all you have to do is place the floppy disk or CD in the drive, click /mnt in konqueror and the disks are auto mounted. This is cool. Now all I do is click on /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/floppy and I can manipulate my disk files.

My problem is switching disks. When I switch floppies, I sometimes get the error:

file:///mnt/floppy does not seem to exist anymore

Somehow, I got this error to go away with floppies. Today I have this error with CDs and I can't get around it!

Am I missing something basic here? Please help!

TIA,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
01-26-2006, 04:37 AM
OK, I figured out that I can auto mount and unmount any data disks (floppy and CD). However, I can't play any music CDs. I can't auto mount a music CD as a user. I can't mount a music CD as root.

I tried Juk and Kaffiene. Juk seems to need me to mount the drive first. Kaffiene actually accesses the drive (the CD starts turning), but then Kaffiene crashes.

What can I do to play a music CD?

TIA,
AJG

angor
01-26-2006, 02:03 PM
> What can I do to play a music CD?

$ apt-cache search player|grep -i cd
ascd - CD player and mixer
cccd - A small GTK+ CD player program
cdcd - command line or console based CD player

sakiZ
01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
What????? There is no CD Player on the whole DVD? I bet there is somewhere.

I can sympathize. I used to love Kaffeine back when it was .43b. Then it got buggy.

Arrrgh.

These days I gave XMMS CD Player functionality by adding a little plug-in for it.

Is GXine on the DVD? It should play CDs and your mp3s. It is a simple front end to Xine and its libraries.

sakiZ

A. Jorge Garcia
01-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Harrumph, when I
apt-cache search player|grep -i cd I only get

libvcdinfo0 - library to extract information from VideoCD
k3b - A sophisticated KDE cd burning application

So I tried to look up cccd, cdcd and ascdd on http://packages.debian.org but its down right now....

No joy yet!

Thanx,
AJG

angor
01-27-2006, 08:27 AM
> I only get
> libvcdinfo0 - library to extract information from VideoCD
> k3b - A sophisticated KDE cd burning application

I have these lines in my sources.list (but it's a Kanotix derived system, so beware):

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main

You'll have to run "apt-get update" after including these (or similar) in your sources.list.

canjohn
02-27-2006, 04:57 PM
I am having the same problem with 4.0.

When I try to play a regular music cd I get an error message "file:///mnt/cdrom1 does not exist" (cdrom1 is my cd-rw). However if I insert an mp3 disk or data cd there is no problem reading/mounting it. It just seems to be a problem with music cds.

Anyone found a solution?

Thanks.

canjohn
02-27-2006, 06:01 PM
SOLUTION FOUND

I got the audio cd to play using XMMS. Here is what I did

1. I went into O(ptions) on the XMMS menu - left sie marked by an O
2. I went into Preferences
3. I selected audio CD player, Then Configure, Then Options.
4. Under Default CD Device I changed from /dev/cdrom (which has Knoppix DVD) to /dev/cdrom1 (my cd-rw device).
5. I went back to the Preference dialogue and clicked on CD Audio Player
6. I clicked on COnfigure again.
7. This time I clicked Add Drive at the bottom. I In Device I added /dev/cdrom1. I also chalged to Digital Audio Extraction.

I hope this helps someone else.

A. Jorge Garcia
02-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Thanx canjohn!

All I had to do was steps 6-7 from your howto and I got xmms working with music cds too! I had to add a drive with devce /dev/cdrom

Regards,
AJG

canjohn
02-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Just to bring this to a full closeure.

Glad to hear this worked for you too.

I went back and experimented a little. Like you I found that I only needed to change the CDAudio part by adding a second drive (in my case /dev/cdrom1) and audio to Digital. I am not running on my HD (yet) so I saved the configuration to a floppy and now each time I boot CDAudio is updated with the cdrom1. Now I wonder if this will be an issue with every program - unlike WIndows which seems to inform new programs automatically with available devices. Hmmmm.

Never sure that will apply to everyone, but just in case someone else looks here I thought I would update this conversation.

JJJJ

A. Jorge Garcia
02-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Good job, canJohn, we need contributors like you on the forum!

Sorry, I neglected to mention that I run almost exclusively from hdd....

Regards,
AJG