PDA

View Full Version : CD ROM detection problem

diwadkar
05-05-2003, 07:26 AM
Hi Guys,I inserted a Knoppix CD(from one Magazine) into CD ROM drive,it worked smooth for sometime then my PC got hanged so I tried to eject CD,but it didn't come.Then I restarted my PC,but now if I insert any CD including knoppix, and click on explore,PC gives the message"Please insert CD into D:" I tried shutting down the PC, but same problem.Do I have to change some BIOS setting?What is the solution? or procedure for overcoming this problem? I am new to this,Any help will be greatly appreciated.

My PC configuration[Compaq 3350,Processor-AMD,Windows XP]
Thanks
Prasanna

rickenbacherus
05-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Try resetting your CMOS.

Henk Poley
05-07-2003, 07:27 AM
Hi Guys,I inserted a Knoppix CD(from one Magazine) into CD ROM drive,it worked smooth for sometime then my PC got hanged so I tried to eject CD,but it didn't come.Then I restarted my PC,but now if I insert any CD including knoppix, and click on explore,PC gives the message"Please insert CD into D:" I tried shutting down the PC, but same problem.
Have you tried unplugging the PC for a minute or so? Some Dell computers have a bug so it won't even boot after you shutdown from Linux. Might be that your CD-ROM drive has the same problem.

Resetting the CMOS resets your BIOS settings, you should know what settings to put back in. So I would only do that as a last resort. (not that my new PC leaves me any choise, it resets itself every other day or something, PC service point says they rebooted the PC several times and couldn't reproducer the error :cry:)

rickenbacherus
05-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Resetting the CMOS resets your BIOS settings, you should know what settings to put back in.
It only resets them to DEFAULT.

So I would only do that as a last resort. (not that my new PC leaves me any choise, it resets itself every other day or something,
What??

PC service point says they rebooted the PC several times and couldn't reproducer the error :cry:)
Who is this "PC service" company anyway? Obviously that shouldn't be happening.

Oh and as far as unplugging a system goes - I'm not certain it's really a bug necessarily (maybe tho) but I've had machines that needed to be reset by unplugging that were not Dell.

diwadkar
05-08-2003, 09:54 AM
I tried resetting BIOS setting, but doesn't work.