PDA

View Full Version : Fujitsu Lifebook P-2046

noodleNT
01-29-2006, 12:54 AM
I installed Knoppix 4.0 onto this old Lifebook because I wasn't happy with XPs performance on there and wanted to get my feet wet with linux. (read linux noob)
The initial install worked fine but I couldn't get the internal wireless to work. It uses the Intersil Prism II chipset. I then ran "apt-get update" thinking this would get some updates that would allow the wireless to be detected. After about 6 hours of downloading and installing packages I rebooted the laptop and now the damn thing wont boot.

It just tries to "Initiating startup sequence" over and over.

Any ideas?

Remember.... noob terms please.

UnderScore
01-29-2006, 01:09 AM
It is extremely difficult for me to fix your system if you are new to Linux (nothing wrong with that) and also I am not physically at your machine to do it. Since HD installs can be very complicated, we tell people to not install it to the HD unless they are experts at Linux. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it
There are other distros of Linux that are designed for easy userfriendly installation with full hardware support. You may want to look at Linspire, Suse 10.0, Ubuntu 5.10, or Mandriva Linux 2006.

noodleNT
01-29-2006, 01:17 AM
I will check out Ubuntu, thanks.