PDA

View Full Version : Elaboration Mounting Home directory to usb drive

dvryknopper
01-30-2006, 01:28 AM
I have been combing through the forum searching for a solution to this and I found a post that comes close to answering my questions but is more geared for a more specific problem (disk space in homedir) and seems to be geared to the more linux savvy than I ; I was wondering if any of the more experienced posters here would be willing to elaborate on this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22622 specifically how to mount the home directory in the first place and so that it will boot with the cheat code home=/mnt/uba1 and have the home directory mounted. I am assuming creating knoppix.img is an integral part of the process, if it is not please feel free to tell me :o

I am a relative linux newb, I am running v3.8 of knoppix, I am trying to mount the home directory to a 128mb fat32 formatted thumbdrive, I am also curious as to how well mounting the home directory would work on a 64mb fat32 formatted thumbdrive

If my question has already been answered in a newb friendly way on other threads, please post the url's here so that I can read them and reply about their helpfulness, thanks! :)

dvryknopper
01-30-2006, 06:27 PM
I found my own answer, I guess it should have occured to me to check the wiki, anyway, the answer was in the cheat code section of the knoppix wiki, and here it is:

home=scan
Set home directory. 'scan' will search for knoppix.img in the root of all partitions. To create a home directory, go K-menu -> Knoppix -> Configure -> Create persistant home directory. Be carefull when creating the home-dir, Do NOT use the entire partition unless you know what you are doing. Other options could be, home=/dev/hda1/knoppix.img home=/mnt/hda1/knoppix.img . If you are using a USB memory stick type home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img but home=scan will probably do.

darquemeye
04-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi im a linux newbie, i have set up the knoppix.img file on my usb drive. Now my question is:

Will my settings be saved automatically as I make them or do I have to do this after I make all my changes?

Thanks

OErjan
04-11-2006, 05:57 PM
first time the changes wil NOT be saved to your /home/knoppix, (things like your mailacountsettings, desktopbackground...)
but if you reboot everything should be saved just fine as you go.

darquemeye
04-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Ok, thanks. I will have to play with that for a while. For now I saved my configuration to my USB drive.

Is there any big advantage to creating a persistent home directory vice just saving the configuration? Would you recomend that I save the home dir to a hard drive or will my USB drive be sufficient?