PDA

View Full Version : Just Found Knoppix

PhaseDMA
05-05-2003, 02:57 PM
I just found Knoppix last night, and it looks real good, but I have never touched any version of Linux before, and have not seen much more then screen shots. As you can guess I am pretty stupid at this point in this subject.

I have been searching around a bit, but have yet to find any large colletion of infomation about Knoppix. Are there any sites with large amounts of info for n00bs?

Maybe a "starter guide" type thing.

Thanks a lot

monkeyman
05-05-2003, 02:59 PM
The Docs link at the top of this page has a wealth of info.

Stephen
05-05-2003, 09:05 PM
I just found Knoppix last night, and it looks real good, but I have never touched any version of Linux before, and have not seen much more then screen shots. As you can guess I am pretty stupid at this point in this subject.

I have been searching around a bit, but have yet to find any large colletion of infomation about Knoppix. Are there any sites with large amounts of info for n00bs?

Maybe a "starter guide" type thing.

Thanks a lot

You might try newbie doc (http://newbieDoc.sourceForge.net/) and try reading or searching the debian-user news group. Also google with the search linux newbie debian should give you about 73,000 results to start from.

pnti
05-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Don't read anything. Knoppix is for dummies.

Just start using it. All you need to know is how to configure a network card (if you don't have DHCP).

I prepared several exercises for my students but they are in Polish.

A. Jorge Garcia
05-07-2003, 01:36 AM
Oh, you're a teacher too? I'm curious what you use knoppix for.

Regards,

insomica
05-07-2003, 03:07 AM
welcome to knoppix's forum phasedma... if you learn anything let me know what you learned :)

like how to install modem drivers on a read only file system........

Naughtius Maximus
05-07-2003, 10:58 AM
I too have recently discovered knoppix, about 6-8 weeks ago. Being a windoze user since windoze 3.11, i have been looking for a stable and secure operating system so i have turned to linux, slowly phasing out much of the windoze use. This year i downloaded mandrake 9.0, and since then, my knowledge of linux is growing.

But to answer your question, is knoppix best for you, the only answer i can give you is YES. The reason i say this, is that you already know that knoppix runs completely in memory so you are able to use and familiarize yourself with it, and should anything of a serious nature arise, or you need to do is hit the power off button. No damage to your other operating system or hardware.

Its the ease of use which makes it so right for everyone to use, if you don't like it, just pull out the cd and not use it again. Not hours of installing and configuring a operating system to a hard drive, getting everything right for a problem to leave you stranded and frustrated.

Naughtius Maximus
05-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Sorry, Disregard that post, not the post i wanted to reply to.
to many windows opened i think

bongski55
05-07-2003, 12:43 PM
welcome to knoppix's forum phasedma... if you learn anything let me know what you learned :)

like how to install modem drivers on a read only file system........

Of course you cannot use 'install'(under linux) to knoppix running on a ram which is read only. But the workaround is to use script .See my posthttp://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2182 :)

PhaseDMA
05-28-2003, 06:44 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I think I'm starting to learn heh.

BTW it was a life saver the other day when I loaded the OS (with games) on a work pc for my 12 year old brother.