PDA

View Full Version : md5sum wrong with bittorrent?

firehawk256
01-30-2006, 06:58 AM
I lost my original iso of the 4.0.2 cd and I wanted to make another copy (my original copy is busy installing gentoo on another machine right now) so I downloaded the bittorrent tracker from the official site at http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/ . Bittorrent said the download was completed successfully. I checked the md5sum anyway, and it failed. I thought "whatever" and burned a cd anyway. When I used the testcd cheatcode it also failed on KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX. What's up with that?

Are the md5sums wrong for some reason or did I really get a bad download through bittorrent?

Harry Kuhman
01-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Your download is bad. It would be very interesting to know how that happened. One obvious thing to try is to restart the torrent; which should cause it to check your existing files and hopefully repair the bad part(s).

firehawk256
01-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Looks like that fixed it. Thanks for the tip. I removed it from the download list, then restarted the tracker file. Bittorrent hung at 99.9% for a whole minute, then starting seeding. I checked the md5sum and now it passes, so does testcd. I guess ish happens, even with bittorrent.

:D