PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 4.0 & USB stick writing error

zanco
01-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi,

I did install Knoppix 4.0 on my harddisk from the DVD. It works ok, but I needed Knoppix (or another Linux version) to write to my USB stick which contains the necessary files to make my Sweex router boot the OS to act as webserver.

At PC 1 (A P4 2.53 GHz, booted from the CD) I managed to create the necessary files and the Sweex router works.

Now, at PC 2 (A Via C3 800 MHz) I did install Knoppix on the harddrive to be able to change the pages in the /var/www/ directory on the USB stick to add my own internet page instead of the "It seems that this router rig works" message which is the default index.html

The USB stick is recognized, can be read but not be written to. Reading this forum I did read that I have to do the action to make it available for read AND write, which I did. Now, "touching" the icon with my mouse, it says "write = yes". At the properties tab I did disable "read only" and modyfing is allowed for the owner.

Still, I get this error message when trying to write anything to the USB stick.

When I review the properties for the device in the /mnt/ directory it says that "root" is the owner, but for the same device on the desktop, it says "knoppix" is the owner.

So, what's next to try ? (And no, the switch on the USB stick is not "locked" to disable writing :D )

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Kind regards,
Ben

zanco
02-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Still, I get this error message when trying to write anything to the USB stick.

When I review the properties for the device in the /mnt/ directory it says that "root" is the owner, but for the same device on the desktop, it says "knoppix" is the owner.

Kind regards,
Ben

Solved: start root shell, type passwd, enter (new) passwd for Unix, confirm password.

After that, run Konqueror as other user, choose user "Root" and enter the password as entered above.

Then, I am able to write / modify on USB device.

Regards,
Ben