PDA

View Full Version : Cannot connect to the net using linux

regnu_me1010
01-31-2006, 02:52 AM
I am using windows currently and when using knoppix, i cannot seem to be able to connect to the net. I am on a dailup connection and was trying to get kppp to connect me, i have t do it manualy because i live in Australia, and i enter my isp and isp's phone number, but cannot connect because it does not let me put in a login name or password. I also dont know if my modem is actually regonised by knoopix .I think i am on the right track, and help would be much appriciated.

PS. i have no clue about linux because i have spent to much time using XP

tdjokic
01-31-2006, 03:18 AM
Which modem do you have? Knoppix can work only with external, serial modems and hardware internal modems. Unfortuantely, internal hardware modems are today very rare. If you have winmodem, than you need to install driver and so on. There are though some Linux distribution that have integrated support for some winmodems: Mepis, Kanotix and some less known distro's. Mepis and Kanotix are close relatives of Knoppix and are excellent too.

regnu_me1010
01-31-2006, 03:39 AM
NetComm 56K Internal Pci Modem
Agere Systems PCI soft Mosem (driver)

nad
01-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Getting a windoze modem to work is not for the faint of heart if even possible in some circumstances.

As this is a "Soft" modem, please search for hundreds of threads here detailing similar problems and solutions.
(The easiest of which would be to purchase a real modem).