PDA

View Full Version : Gnome System Tools

alexcg
05-05-2003, 05:25 PM
How about installing Gnome System Tools by default? I spent ages messing around on the console trying to set my IP number and netmask, when I could have saved hours by just using the network module of the system tools. It provides an interface very similar to the windows network control panel.

GST also includes configuration for:

* Users and groups
* Date and time
* Network configuration
* Bootloaders
* Runlevels

I'm not sure if all of these run okay on knoppix, but I know for sure that network config does.

Stephen
05-05-2003, 08:41 PM
How about installing Gnome System Tools by default? I spent ages messing around on the console trying to set my IP number and netmask, when I could have saved hours by just using the network module of the system tools. It provides an interface very similar to the windows network control panel.

GST also includes configuration for:

* Users and groups
* Date and time
* Network configuration
* Bootloaders
* Runlevels

I'm not sure if all of these run okay on knoppix, but I know for sure that network config does.

You could always have typed netcardconfig to run the script to configure your card.

aay
05-05-2003, 10:48 PM
Stephen is right. If you just go to Knoppix, Configure in Kmenu (or run netcardconfig from the command line) you will have access to tools to confiigure your ethernet card. Most other config stuff can be done quite well in the KDE Control Center.

For a wireless network card use wlcardconfig or look in the same place in Kmenu.