PDA

View Full Version : PID / persistent home with USB Stick problem

Romeo-Sierra
02-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi folks,

I am quite new to LINUX and specially KNOPPIX, but my goal is to understand LINUX a bit and perhaps I will switch over from Windows one day - so I thought that KNOPPIX might be the best for me, as I do not want to dual-boot two OS...

I already had KNOPPIX 3.8, but I did not get a persistent home directory working, so I dismissed my plans. Now I downloaded KNOPPIX 4.0 (Release 2005-09-23) and hoped that things would be better now.

Well, if I follow the steps in http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/knowing-knoppix/main/index20.html I get exactly to the point, where I have to reboot and type the well-known "knoppix home=/dev/sda1"... The problem is that the line "Mounting mnt/sda1/knoppix.img as knoppix/home ..." does not show during startup. So I searched through this forum; I tried to format sda1 as ext3 (in regard to rwcitek's tipp, that ext2 is not supported) but even the command tune2fs did not work.
I also tried various cheatcodes such as /mnt/sda1 or /mnt/sda1/knoppix.img and so on, but during the boot process, I do not read the lines saying that my sda1, my usb-device, will now be mounted as my home directory.

I am sorry, that, again, you have to answer a question of a new-one which might have already been answered, but I did not find anything that would help me out!
Please be patient with me, I do not know any abbreviations that are common in the "LINUX-World" ;-)

Is USB2.0 supported in Knoppix? Might that be the problem?

Thank you very much in advance
lg
Stefan