PDA

View Full Version : Linux Editors Is Pico available in debian

samoguz
02-02-2006, 04:13 AM
Is the pico editor available in knoppix. I installed knoppix to my hard drive so I have Debian now. I tried to use the pico editor but I seems it does not exists )I get this message: pico command not found) . Is there a place where I can download it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

UnderScore
02-02-2006, 05:02 AM
try nano

Harry Kuhman
02-02-2006, 05:04 AM
I installed knoppix to my hard drive so I have Debian now.
This is perhaps the biggest misunderstanding there is about a hard disk insall of Knoppix. You have Knoppix. Knoppix is based on Debian. But you don't have Debian. The Debian support forums will refuse to support you. It is very well known that trying to install anything else can break your entire system.

If you had Debian you could tell us which version of Debian you have. And you would install additional packages for that release. But you can't tell us which version of Debian you have since you have a mix of various parts.

Dave_Bechtel
02-02-2006, 06:07 AM
--Harry, I have seen you take this position before - and to me it is bad PR for Knoppix. I have 2 machines at home that are Knoppix hdinstalls and have been running well for 2-3 years with constant upgrades. And no, those are not the only Knoppix hdinstalls I've done. That said, you should make frequent backups and NOT do dist-upgrade, instead doing apt-get install on a per-package basis. Knoppix is based primarily on Debian testing, which is why I prefer it over other live-cd variants such as Kanotix and Mepis.

--You DO remember that until Debian Sarge revved, Knoppix was one of *the* easier ways of installing (for most intents and purposes) Debian with a no-hassle X server?

--Original poster: Check your /etc/apt/sources.list and ' apt-cache search pico '. I believe it comes with the pine email client.
Also check apt-get.org; you may have to add a line or two to sources.list and then do ' apt-get update ' before ' apt-get install pico ':

http://www1.apt-get.org/search.php?query=pico&submit=Submit&arch%5B%5D=i386&arch%5B%5D=all

--If you can't get it as a package, there's always the source; however I would also recommend you give the " joe " package a try. It has several text-editor variants including a Wordstar-like clone, which is the one I prefer and use daily. The " mutt " email package is also a good alternative to Pine, it's interface is not all that different.

--Some pine/pico/Licensing history:
http://www.asty.org/articles/20010702pine.html

I installed knoppix to my hard drive so I have Debian now.
This is perhaps the biggest misunderstanding there is about a hard disk insall of Knoppix. You have Knoppix. Knoppix is based on Debian. But you don't have Debian. The Debian support forums will refuse to support you. It is very well known that trying to install anything else can break your entire system.

If you had Debian you could tell us which version of Debian you have. And you would install additional packages for that release. But you can't tell us which version of Debian you have since you have a mix of various parts.

2006.0201 + Corrected error

maxIT
02-02-2006, 07:07 PM
I agree with Dave. I have some computers with dual boot knoppix/debian but I still keep knoppix as 'default', and at this time don't seems to me knoppix is causing more issues than debian itself. I think the best hint a knoppixer can give to 'newcomers' isn't "don't install it but don't apt-get upgrade it.
I've tried others distros which are better than knoppix in some aspects such ubuntu that recognize my printer on the fly, or kanotix that create automagically an usb_icon on my desktop when I put in a usbkey, but..."knoppix is rock, and well pre-configured for people that come with no many experience in linux!"

Harry Kuhman
02-02-2006, 09:18 PM
--Harry, I have seen you take this position before - and to me it is bad PR for Knoppix. I have 2 machines at home that are Knoppix hdinstalls and have been running well for 2-3 years with constant upgrades. .... That said, you should make frequent backups and NOT do dist-upgrade, instead doing apt-get install on a per-package basis.

--You DO remember that until Debian Sarge revved, Knoppix was one of *the* easier ways of installing (for most intents and purposes) Debian with a no-hassle X server?
Dave,

I certainly don't intend bad PR for Knoppix. Just the opposite, I think it gives Knoppix bad PR for both Knoppix and Linux in general when people try to install it and then have the many problems that they do. I suspect that the bad word of mouth that just one individual doing this can more than offset all of the good will of the free Knoppix CDs and DVDs I've given out. While it's clear that knowledgable people like yourself can and do make a Knoppix install work, I think it is a great disservice to the community to suggest that Knoppix should be installed. My concern is both that updates (and other installs that may trigger updates) can break the Knoppix mix of versions, and also the many many posts I have seen in these forums over the years about things that used to work from the CD but stopped after Knoppix was installed. Networking seems to be the most common of these although there are others. This is just a too common problem to allow me to feel that installing Knoppix is not a source of problems that should not exist.

Yes, I do remember the Debian installer of 4 or more years ago, as well as many other Linux installers. One had to answer many technical questions that most users don't even grasp, and even though I was expecting it and made a lot of notes about my system before I started an install, I had to abort and go back and get the correct answers to some questions before I could do an install. And these installing problems certainly contributed to people advocating quick and dirty Knoppix installs. But things have changed a lot since then, yet installing Knoppix is still advocated. Maybe there is some small fringe group that can benefit from a Knoppix install, but most people who try to install Knoppix are like baby ducks who just follow the first thing that they see. They have never tried to do an install of a modern Debian CD, but rather insist on trying to install Knoppix even though there are issues in doing so. And I believe the over simplification of saying "Once Installed Knoppix is Debian" certainly contributes to this. So I try to correct this misblief; Knoppix when Installed to a hard disk becomes Debian in the same way that if you paint racing stripes on a VW it becomes a Ferrari. You can pretend that you have Debian and you might enjoy doing so, but you don't really have Debian.

I certainly respect youir opnion Dave, and am glad that you have the experties to make Knoppix hard disk installs work for you. I think it's important that new users hear both sides of this discussion. I tend to hold off on responding when I see people who are clearly determined to put Knoppix on the hard disk, hoping that people like you will setp up and guide them. But the statement that triggered this discussion was something I just wanted to respond to beore more new users accepeted it as an unqualified truth.