PDA

View Full Version : I'm having trouble connecting to the internet

Taylor
02-03-2006, 02:50 AM
For the past month or so, after reading an article that suggests that if you want to start programming (which I do) then you should get a Unix or Linux based OS because Windows is closed source. So today I got a Knoppix 4.0.2 CD that I can pop into my Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook and boot it from the disk.

Here's my problem; I cannot connect to the internet (right now I'm on Windows writting this message), my system isn't reconizing my internet connection, which is a linksys router. I snooped around the Networking/Internet applications and found the program called "KWiFiManager" which I think is what I need to connect to my router. So I clicked on it and it says the following in the window...

KWiFiManager
Connected to: linksys
Access Point: 00:0F:66:C1:F6:06
Local IP: 192.168.1.100
Frequency [channel]: 2.462 [11]
Encryption: Off

However, it was not connected. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to be able to connect to the internet?

Thank you,
~Taylor

OErjan
02-05-2006, 06:39 PM
hmm, that "should" let you get online. hmm, do you really have an open network without key?
not safest of options.
what does
sudo ifconfig
and

sudo iwconfig give?
what do you get when you try pinging 64.233.187.99 (google.com)?

sudo ping 64.233.187.99
can you ping
192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 (one of them should be your router)?

Taylor
02-06-2006, 01:57 AM
I have no clue what you just said. I'm new to linux and routers aren't my speciality.

Harry Kuhman
02-06-2006, 02:20 AM
You would be wise to educate yourself a little. Running a wireless router without encryption turned on is a very very bad idea for many reasons and can cause anything from idenity theft to RIAA lawsuits. Even if you live in a nice quiet suburban neighborhood, this is an issue. Beyond that the stuff in boxes was commands to try, in order to get more information so that we can help you. Open a "command shell" and type the given commands; note the responses and tell us what they were.

OErjan
02-06-2006, 05:44 PM
sorry. my bad.
thoise where comands to issue in a shell (comand prompt in Win speak), linux have many slightly different but mainly they do the same, among them are; Konsole, Xterm, aterm...
in this case it is that little icon near the bottom with <_ (or was it >_ ) on the "screen".
you can save the output to a file on a floppy if you wish. just put
>/mnt/floppy/filename.txt on end of each line (filenamne is replaced with comandname) like this.

sudo ifconfig>/mnt/floppy/ifconfig.txt
just remember to mount the floppy first by klicking the icon. before you remove the floppy it is wise to unmount it by rightklicking and klicking unmount in the menu that appears (or just shut computer down that should unmount floppy safely).