PDA

View Full Version : Newb question: how do i browse c:\ using knoppix?

shojen
02-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I boot from cd, Knoppix. Loads fine. Within Knoppix, right click brings up menu... but i don't recognize a standard "explorer" type file browser. I have opened the many "shells", looks like DOS, but "cd c:" isn't recognized.

How can I use Knoppix to browse my harddrive and view the files? I know I can't/shouldn't "write" to NTFS, but I should be able to "read" and "copy" the files to a USB flash drive right?

HELP!

nad
02-04-2006, 01:45 PM
What are you doing at a command line? This is the third millenium!

Just click the drive icon on the desktop. This will open a konquerer window with the contents of this drive shown. Or, at the K menu choose the Quick Browser, which will open konquerer with more options.

At a command line, you will first need to know the partitions' designation, eg: /dev/hda1 ; so that you can mount it: mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 . Once mounted, you can view the contents with the list command: ls /dev/hda1 . The command: dmesg | grep -i hd ; will spew out much information about your installed PATA drives that the system found at startup.

dvryknopper
02-06-2006, 05:04 AM
The reason that C: drive wasn't recognized is because drives are identified differently in linux. Linux is not built on DOS. You know how Windows is a GUI built on top of DOS, well think of all Linux versions as GUIs built ontop of the Unix operating system. Unix is far superior to DOS which would make since because DOS is basically a stripped down version of Unix. I am basically a newbie too, but hopefully my basic level of knowledge about the OS will be helpful to you :) . You know how in DOS/Windows, everything originates from the C: drive? Well in Unix, every thing stems from the Root directory (directory is another word for folder). All directories are underneath the Root Directory which on the command line of Linux which is actually Unix is represented by /
so if you wanted to access the root directory you would type cd / . Everything is beneath the Root directory, including your hard drive, you need to not thinking of everything in terms of starting from drive C:, drive C: in linux is merely a device in a directory that is in the root directory and is not named drive C:, drive C: is merely the name Windows assigns to the drive it is installed upon in linux the hard drive would be located in two directories underneath root, the dev and mnt directories. The hard drive is only located in the mnt directory after it has been mounted, which is what nad was having you do. The dev directory contains all of the devices your system has which includes the mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc. To access each of these drives type cd /mnt or cd /dev Instead of Dir, type ls -l to see a list of all of the files in the directory you are in. Instead of help, type man for example, type man mount the man files are the manual files for most of the programs installed on your Linux system. If you want to understand the structure of your system better, research the unix operating system, this will give you a better idea as to how things are structured in a unix/linux environment. Oh yeah, and in knoppix, for certain functions type sudo before a command to get root user access (root and root user are concepts you should research to better understand the structure of your system).

drb
02-06-2006, 01:33 PM
I have a HD installation of Kanotix and during a recent dist-upgrade includung udev, the icons on the desktop appear with their Windows names under the icons i.e. Windows, Photos, Programmes etc.

drb

shojen
02-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Ah, excellent! Thank you for all of you're responses. I've never dealt with Unix, so this is going to be fun! :D

Thanks again!