PDA

View Full Version : alsa orphans...

chipyoung
02-03-2006, 06:58 PM
I was looking into updating my alsa sound libraries to 64 bit. I started with adding two modules since I am running a AMD Sempron CPU. After going through the install in Kpackage Package manager. Both these modules are showing a question mark next to them since they probably depend on a 64 bit kernel.

1) alsa-modules-2.4-k7
2) alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-k7

I never did install the kernel and I would like to get rid of these modules along with some other orphans. The problem is that when I try to remove them I get the message:

<pt-get remove --yes -s alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-k7 ;echo RESULT=$?
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
alsa-modules-2.4-k7: Depends: alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-k7 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
RESULT=100

I receive the same message on both modules. The apt-get -f option did not help. It looks like it wants me to install the new 64 bit kernel first. It also won't let me remove some other unrelated orphans.

My question is...Is there another way of removing these modules so that I can get back to normal?

I am runnin Debian Linux that was install from Knoppix..multi user version 2.6.12. I am new at Linux but I have been doing a lot of reading and testing. I would appreciate any help on this item.

Thank you in advance.
Chip[/b]

UnderScore
02-03-2006, 08:27 PM
1) alsa-modules-2.4-k7
2) alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-k7 That 2.4-k7 or 2.4.27 indicates it is for a 2.4.x kernel series. You indicate that you are running 2.6.12 a 2.6.x kernel. You simply can not install & use a 2.4.x alsa with a 2.6.x kernel. It will not work. It would be like trying to use a sound driver designed for window 98 and getting it to work on windows 2003 server. It will not work.

You are asking for much headache or stress by installing a Knoppix (a Debian derived variant) as a HD based Debian-like machine. Then you are asking for further stress by trying to upgrade it to a 64 bit machine by upgrading the kernel & its libs. You should just install Debian amd64 CDs via http http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/sarge-amd64/iso-cd/ or bittorrent http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/sarge-amd64/bt-cd/

chipyoung
02-03-2006, 10:08 PM
I understand the problem with different kernels. Ths apt-get update was a mistake. I am just trying to recover from this. As I said the system will not let me remove the two alsa k7 modules. I there any way I can remove them. In the K package module manager both k7 modules have a question mark by them. As you can see from the message I received above, it won't let me remove them. All I want to do is remove both modules. Again, I realized I made a mistake when I tried to install them. I was prompted twice during the install of the modules. I backed out of the second prompt, which I though would not install them. They look like their in Limbo!

Again, any suggestions on getting rid of these 2 modules.

Thanks again,
Chip

UnderScore
02-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Did you try the command line "-f" to force it to do it. If that fails, then you may have to look into the dpkg command even hand-hack the installed package list database.

chipyoung
02-03-2006, 11:06 PM
I want to thank you UnderScore. I had tried the "-f" option before which didn't work. I then tried your suggestion using the dpkg command. It worked like a charm. I was then able to remove my other orphans with the deborphan command.

Again I thank you.

UnderScore
02-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Cool. I'm glad it worked.