PDA

View Full Version : Permission problem

satimis
02-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi folks,

Knoppix LiveCD 4.0.2

I have a partition created on HD reserved for Knoppix LiveCD. On default the partition can be mounted both as "root" and "user". My problem is that files on the partition can only be saved as "root". Therefore as "user" after editing the files I can't save them back to the partition. Also I can't save new file on the partition.

Is there any solution? I don't expect starting Knoppix as root nor "su root" on console starting application to work.

TIA

B.R.
satimis

nad
02-04-2006, 01:31 PM
" On default the partition can be mounted both as "root" and "user". "

What does the above mean? Where and what permissions, if any, have you set ? Just because "user" can mount the partition doesn't mean that "user" has write access.

Try right clicking the drive icon on the desktop (as user) once the drive is mounted and change the mount options to include _write_.

satimis
02-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi nad,

Tks for your advice.

Try right clicking the drive icon on the desktop (as user) once the drive is mounted and change the mount options to include _write_.On user deskop, right click the icon and selected properties

On Permissions tag;
set - Owner, Group and Others "Can Read & Write"

On Device tag;
uncheck "Read only"

Then "Ok"

and then mount the partition - right icon -> Mount

Started "home" (Konqueror) and clicked a .txt file on the mounted partition. Edited the file and saved it back to the partition. Failed, "save not allowed"

B.R.
satimis

nad
02-04-2006, 08:49 PM
After the drive is mounted, you have to once again right click the drive icon and change the mount option to read/write.

This is a security feature of knoppix.

satimis
02-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi nad,

Very strange, I still could not make it.

Steps performed as follows;

1. After mounting, right click the partition icon and selected "properties"
2. On Permissions tag
Changed, Owner, Group and Others all to "Can Read & Write"
3. On Device tag
unchecked "Read only
4. Clicked "OK to close the window
5. Clicked the icon to start Konqueror
6. Clicked a .txt file to open it
7. Edited the file and saved it back to the partition
8. Failed, not allowed

Properties of the .txt file
On Permission tag
Owner : can read and write
Goup: can read and write
Others: can Read only

B.R.
satimis

nad
02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
This is _not_ a permissions problem. Changing the permissions does not change the mount type.

Once the drive is mounted, right click the icon and use the "Actions" menu to change to read/write mode (remount the filesystem read/write).