PDA

View Full Version : BIOS age fails cutoff

rtobias
02-07-2006, 04:36 AM
I've run Knoppix V3.7 on my IBM 600X laptop successfully. However, when I try running Knoppix 3.8.2, I get an error message "BIOS age fails cutoff" resulting in a panic and an unsuccessful boot. I've tried updating the BIOS to the latest that Lenovo offers for the 600X (ITET55WW 11/30/99), but no improvement. I tried running with the failsafe boot option, and I was then able to boot, but I don't know if I'm likely to experience further problems if I use it under such conditions. Is there some hardware requirement that the computer's BIOS can't be older than a particular date? Nothing is mentioned about this on this website under

"What are the minimum system requirements?

Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),
32 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE
(at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office
products),
bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI
or SCSI),
standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,
serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse."

If the BIOS age is a newer, undocumented requirement, what is the reason for such a requirement? (Linux has always been good about supporting old hardware). Why 3.8.2 and not 3.7?

UnderScore
02-07-2006, 04:51 PM
If I recall correctly, that bios cutoff message refers to ACPI. I have a thinkpad t23 and I must disable knoppix's automatic use of ACPI or the thinkpad will fail to boot. I boot knoppix with some Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes), such as:
knoppix acpi=off
OR
knoppix noacpi

rtobias
02-08-2006, 02:56 AM
Thank you for your good suggestion and quick response. I tried knoppix acpi=off and variations, but got the same result, with the bios date cutoff message. The only thing that allows me to boot is to enter failsafe at the boot prompt, which bypasses most hardware checking before booting. So the problem definately has to do with hardware, but apparently disabling ACPI alone is not enough. I don't want to run with no hardware checking as I feel that may lead to problems, and is not the proper way of running Knoppix.

If I recall correctly, that bios cutoff message refers to ACPI. I have a thinkpad t23 and I must disable knoppix's automatic use of ACPI or the thinkpad will fail to boot. I boot knoppix with some Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes), such as:
knoppix acpi=off
OR
knoppix noacpi

Harry Kuhman
02-08-2006, 04:32 AM
Try the expert cheat code and take notes, reboot and change your last response when it hangs.

rtobias
02-10-2006, 01:34 AM
I did try the "expert" cheat code as you suggested, and I got the same output: "BIOS age fails cutoff" followed by lots of screen output that scrolls quickly, ending with a "panic" message. I also tried the "debug" cheat code with the same results, although I'm not yet familiar with using that mode. I'm not providing the system with any other responses other than what I have previously mentioned. I get the same negative result with everything except failsafe (bypass most hardware checking) which does boot Knoppix normally.