PDA

View Full Version : Mode Not Supported?

eLp619
02-07-2006, 01:21 PM
I've searched the forums and I belive I have not seen this problem previously posted. Sorry if it was, just redirect me, but:

I wasn't sure if I started right at all, but I downloaded the knoppix DVD (the latest one) and burnt the whole .zip file to the DVD as an image. Then when I booted from the DVD, I see a few booting sequences come up, then my screen goes black, and I get a message "Mode not Supported". It looks like the message is comming from my monitor, so my best guess is that it is a resolution problem, but I wouldn't know how to configure it. Any help would be greatly apriciated. Thanks in advance.

UnderScore
02-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Welcome to Knoppix.net
Did you follow the download & verification & burning instructions at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ ? From the fact that it booted, it seems that you might have had a successful burn but please read it as it has some real must reads tips & suggestions that will help you make sure you have downloaded and burned a good working Knoppix DVD.

On the video problems:
It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware (perhaps getting it wrong) & then setting a resolution & refresh rate that is beyond the capabilities of the hardware. Try booting knoppix with some Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes), such as:
knoppix screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60
knoppix screen=640x480 xvrefresh=60

I hope this helps.
James

John_C
02-08-2006, 08:46 PM
**** Then when I booted from the DVD, I see a few booting sequences come up, then my screen goes black, and I get a message "Mode not Supported". It looks like the message is comming from my monitor, so my best guess is that it is a resolution problem, but I wouldn't know how to configure it.

It is what I call "the LCD monitor problem". Since I am lucky enough to have many computers and monitors, and try out a lot of Distros, I have confronted this monster many times.

The easiest way of varifying it, is to hook your computer up to a good CRT monitor -- the problem disappears. It is to do with the more limited range of operation options on a LCD monitor. Strange part is, it is a combination of LCD and video driver -- different combinations produce different results. The problem area is the video mode just after the Grub Menu and the start of X. Many times (if there isn't any other problem - like proper cheat codes) I have just watched the blank screen, sat back and waited for X to start.

I have several work-a-rounds depending on the Distro and equipment -- you should visit the Kanotix Forum and ask the same question as it has been discussed more there. Knoppix, Kanotix, Mepis, PCLinuxOS and others will do the same thing on some setups. It has very little to do with what you set your X resolution to be. The good news is, there is always a solution..... but it would be better if the cause was eliminated -- of course recognition of the problem would be a good first step. Oh yeah, once a Distro is installed, the problem disappears completely. And I can't give you the exact trick for the Knoppix DVD, as I don't have it (dial-up). My 2005-04 Kanotix did this -- on harddrive now (no problem).

It is surely on the top of the list of what turns new users off Linux -- resulting in a lot of discs in the garbage can, and back to Windows. Actually I'm a little tired of seeing the same problem pop up time and time again with no real resolve.