PDA

View Full Version : file partition

Lex-Man
02-09-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm using a primary XP system but what some linux action so I created myself a boot cd. But to save stuff what kind of file partition should I use to save stuff, ext2/3 or swap?

If i can use any what are the advantages/ disadvantages if I can use either.

P.S. I checked the FAQ but couldn't see anything about this type of question.

ruymbeke
02-09-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm using a primary XP system but what some linux action so I created myself a boot cd. But to save stuff what kind of file partition should I use to save stuff, ext2/3 or swap?
This is a little confusing...
but my guess is that you are willing to use both XP (with native ntfs partition)
and Knoppix from the boot CD/DVD and are looking for a partition type
which could be use by both systems to exchange information back and forth.
As a quick summary, even though there is much more partition types:
- NTFS can read by both XP and Linux, but write is only considered reliable on XP (but Linux is getting better at it)
- ext2/3 is one of the preferred native partition type for Linux bur cannot be written easily on XP (PQmagic can do it)
- swap is used by the Linux virtual memory management and cannot/should not be used to store data.
- fat32 can natively be read and written reliabily by both Linux and XP.
So I would recommend to create a FAT32 partition.
Hope this helps,
Gilles

Lex-Man
02-09-2006, 08:37 PM
This is a little confusing...
but my guess is that you are willing to use both XP (with native ntfs partition)
and Knoppix from the boot CD/DVD and are looking for a partition type
which could be use by both systems to exchange information back and forth.
As a quick summary, even though there is much more partition types:
- NTFS can read by both XP and Linux, but write is only considered reliable on XP (but Linux is getting better at it)
- ext2/3 is one of the preferred native partition type for Linux bur cannot be written easily on XP (PQmagic can do it)
- swap is used by the Linux virtual memory management and cannot/should not be used to store data.
- fat32 can natively be read and written reliabily by both Linux and XP.
So I would recommend to create a FAT32 partition.
Hope this helps,
Gilles

All my file partitions are in FAT32 currently I havn't got round to changing to to NTFS yet. I've worked out how to save in FAT 32 so I'm nice and almost happy.