PDA

View Full Version : voyager 105 adsl modem

Lex-Man
02-09-2006, 08:10 PM
I want to use my broadband while using Knoppix is it possible to set up a voyager 105?

Can I use any of the EciAdsl stuff with Knoppix?

http://eciadsl.flashtux.org

Harry Kuhman
02-09-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm not at all clear what the link has to do with this of if it's just spam to increase your traffic (which has been a problem in the forums lately), but as to the question see my generic answer #4 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

Lex-Man
02-09-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm not at all clear what the link has to do with this of if it's just spam to increase your traffic (which has been a problem in the forums lately), but as to the question see my generic answer #4 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

The link is to a linux site who make drivers for my modem for various linux based systems. Although not Knoppix they do have a Patch kernel 2.4.28 > .30 and Patch kernel 2.6.x one.

I'm not running any kind of network, I don't have a web site(well running anyway). The modem is system independent and runs through a USB port using a GS7470 chipset. Although the manufacturer's (BT) only support windows and apple.

On there forum there are several questions about running there driver with Knoppix although they always say ask Knoppix team.

Harry Kuhman
02-09-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm not running any kind of network, I don't have a web site(well running anyway). The modem is system independent and runs through a USB port using a GS7470 chipset. Although the manufacturer's (BT) only support windows and apple.
Many people run routers even though they have only one system. In addition to supporting a network they provide a hardware NAT firewall, which goes a long way to keeping hackers form coming across your computer on the internet and infecting it. This is critically important under Windows, but still a good idea under Linux.

If your modem only supports a USB connection though and not an ethernet connection, you are in bad shape. It is certainly not system independent. USB was never intended for networking and performs very poorly when used in a network, in spite of the wide spread availability of such hardware. And it prevents you from protecting yourself with a router and hardware firewall. And in this case, as you found, there is frequently a problem getting the drivers for the OS that you need.

If your modem doesn't have an ethernet connection then I believe that you made a big mistake in allowing the ISP to provide that modem, or worse, buying it. If you ask your ISP they will tell you that there is nothing that they can do. If you insist and they come to understand that they are about to loose a potential long term customer over this, then they will almost always conceed and provide a decent modem, but this can take determination and often involves talking to several people. Otherwise find a friend who had ethernet DSL and moved on to cable and get his or her old DSL modem. Do not waste your time and money on the electronic bay of thieves.

Lex-Man
02-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Many people run routers even though they have only one system. In addition to supporting a network they provide a hardware NAT firewall, which goes a long way to keeping hackers form coming across your computer on the internet and infecting it. This is critically important under Windows, but still a good idea under Linux.

If your modem only supports a USB connection though and not an ethernet connection, you are in bad shape. It is certainly not system independent. USB was never intended for networking and performs very poorly when used in a network, in spite of the wide spread availability of such hardware. And it prevents you from protecting yourself with a router and hardware firewall. And in this case, as you found, there is frequently a problem getting the drivers for the OS that you need.

If your modem doesn't have an ethernet connection then I believe that you made a big mistake in allowing the ISP to provide that modem, or worse, buying it. If you ask your ISP they will tell you that there is nothing that they can do. If you insist and they come to understand that they are about to loose a potential long term customer over this, then they will almost always conceed and provide a decent modem, but this can take determination and often involves talking to several people. Otherwise find a friend who had ethernet DSL and moved on to cable and get his or her old DSL modem. Do not waste your time and money on the electronic bay of thieves.

I understand about the firewall I run a software one as one isn't included with the modem. I really don't have the money for a router at the moment. Also I'm inheriting a wireless 801.11g one later this year, A BT Voyger 2100 insidently. The base unit also has a single ethernet connection. As I live in England the cheapest I can buy a router for is about 50usd.

Harry Kuhman
02-09-2006, 10:33 PM
I understand about the firewall I run a software one as one isn't included with the modem. I really don't have the money for a router at the moment. Also I'm inheriting a wireless 801.11g one later this year, A BT Voyger 2100 insidently. The base unit also has a single ethernet connection. As I live in England the cheapest I can buy a router for is about 50usd.

I understand about the firewall I run a software one as one isn't included with the modem.
A software filewall is quite a different beast than a hardware firewall. The Microsoft firewall is completely useless, as the hackers know the back doors that Microsoft seems to have deliberately put in it (can they really be as bad at programming as they want us to believe?) and before any software firewall comes into play part of the TCP/IP stack still touches the packet so there is a chance to use some exploits. I use a software firewall in addition to a hardware firewall. The software one is primarily to alert me if some software tries to send outbound data when it wasn't expected (which I don't think the MS one even does).

I really don't have the money for a router at the moment. Also I'm inheriting a wireless 801.11g one later this year, A BT Voyger 2100 insidently. The base unit also has a single ethernet connection. As I live in England the cheapest I can buy a router for is about 50usd.
I really don't understand the differences in prices, as these modems are not made in the U.S. and even without rebates we can often buy them for $19.99 or less, and as I said with rebates they can be under $5 down to free. But I bought my first one, a 4 port wired Linksys for over $100 about 6 years ago, at a time when I was out of a job, and I consider that it was still a good investment. I wouldn't run on a high speed connection without one.

I'm not clear which unit has the ethernet connection, the one that you have now or the one you expect to get. If the current one has ethernet then focus on making that work with the PPPoE software (Knoppix is pretty safe, after all, when running from an unalterable disc).

Lex-Man
02-09-2006, 11:02 PM
We pay more for everything. Prices are around three times cheaper in France which is not that far away. I don't use the windows firewall cause I know how bad it is. Also I don't think there bad a programming they just realise that a. most people won't know the difference and b. McAfee et al will start to get annoyed.

Also there's a chance of exploiting any firewall, router based or not.

Which is presumely why you have two firewalls.

I going to play with the EciAdsl stuff when I get a chance to see if I can the modem running with Knoppix i'm Bit Torrenting Suse at the moment. Anyway thank you for your time.

Harry Kuhman
02-09-2006, 11:18 PM
We pay more for everything. Prices are around three times cheaper in France...
Well, then you have a local problem, likely political.

Also there's a chance of exploiting any firewall, router based or not.
Sure, but using a router that there are not known exploits for goes a very long way to protect you, particularly if you are an average user and not an extremely attractive target that attracks the most hackers. And using a software firewall as a backup to alert you if anything makes it past the hardware (and knowing enough to realize the hardware has been breached if this ever does happen) still gives a lot more security than a software firewall only.

Which is presumely why you have two firewalls.
I have a hardware firewall because I simply do not believe that a software firewall is very secure. And because I have multiple systems and use a router with NAT capability so they can all be on the Internet. I use a software firewall mostly to detect any software that is sending outbound packets without my knowledge or permission. This, of course, isn't foolproof but it's better than not using one at all. It doesn't catch anything because nothing ever get into my system (have seen plenty of things try to come in by inbound Internet traffic, email and even infections in stuff I downloaded, but have never had a real infection). Still, I have a fire extinguisher in my house too although I never hope to use it.

I going to play with the EciAdsl stuff when I get a chance to see if I can the modem running with Knoppix i'm Bit Torrenting Suse at the moment. Anyway thank you for your time.
Good Luck