PDA

View Full Version : k-package doesnt work

royalts
05-06-2003, 04:48 PM
i installed knoppix 3.2 (version from fourth of may 2003) on hdd, and everything works, except k-package.
always terminates with "exec failed: No such file or directory"
can anyone help me ... by the way, Knoppix 3.1 did not have that problem
i'm not quite sure if k-package is the problem or apt
thx tobi

rickenbacherus
05-07-2003, 12:49 AM
I've never used K package- sorry that isn't much help eh? Anyway, you could always do a
apt-get install synaptic
synaptic

It is also a package management tool. Personally I just use apt-get. If you have packages on my sytem that aren't installed (like .debs) you could use midnight commander too.

Anybody else having trouble w/ the 5-4 release & kpackage?

eadz
05-07-2003, 02:15 AM
kpackage works on 28-4-03, .. although it spits out a few errors. I don't have the latest right now to test. anyone ?

RiBeZ
05-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Hi, this is my first post 8)

I've installed Knoppix 3.2 (4-15-2003) and i've the same problem with KPackage.

maybe i'll try installing the last version of kpackage using apt get install

oscar
05-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Hi, this is my first post 8)

I've installed Knoppix 3.2 (4-15-2003) and i've the same problem with KPackage.

maybe i'll try installing the last version of kpackage using apt get install

...same problem here (2003-05-03) version...
After uninstalling kpackage it is not possible reinstalling it with apt-get.

There is something similar to synaptic: stormpkg

agroz
05-10-2003, 02:50 PM
everything works, except k-package.
always terminates with "exec failed: No such file or directory"

I had the same problem, and it ended up being a corrupted /etc/passwd file - /usr/bin/konsole-grantpty can't give kpackage root privileges.

I had no idea how to fix it so I just ended up reinstalling. If you're using the User Change Howto be *very very* careful you typed all the changes to knx-hdinstall right; I suspect that's where I messed up, as everything went OK the second time.

Good luck :-)
Andy

Addendum: DOH! After a reboot it no longer works, although /etc/passwd is OK..... :evil:

agroz
05-10-2003, 02:52 PM
After uninstalling kpackage it is not possible reinstalling it with apt-get.

Um. Yes it is, you have to find kpackage 3.1.1-2 on the web, download and cd to the dir and install it from there. Doesn't fix the problem tho (see my other post)

Andy

agroz
05-11-2003, 01:36 AM
Ok guys, I found a workaround (be patient for a moment, this was written straight from my notes)

I noted a couple things while playing around with this:

From "Special" menu: Calls apt-get update OK, but not apt upgrade.

-------------------------------------

Calling kpackage from console like this:

kpackage apache-doc

gives kpackage window and an error window which says:

File not found: /dev/apache-doc

(that /dev/ looks really odd. Could this be a mangled terminal authentication call?) Hmm.

I then called kpackage by itself from a console and tried to install a random doc.deb. When the "exec failed:" message came up, the console printed:

Reason: Function not implemented
konsole: chownpty failed for device /dev/ptyp1::/dev/ttyp1.
: This means the session can be eavesdroped.
: Make sure konsole_grantpty is installed in
: /usr/bin/ and setuid root. (which it is)

Hmm.

Looks like the problem is related to the embedded terminal that kpackage calls when it runs apt, for some reason it can't authenticate with the system for opening the embedded terminal.

Here's the workaround: (NOTE: AFAICT you must be running a configured sshd server. I may be wrong tho.)

Open up kpackage: In Settings>>Configure Kpackage>>Types, put a checkmark in the box "Use remote host (Debian APT only)"; then in the box below that put "localhost"; hit OK and it will come up and say that it cannot verify the authenticity of localhost, continue? say "Yes" and hit OK and wait for it to rebuild the package list.

Then everything works (for me at least, how about everyone else?)

Ta-da! :-)

Looks like kpackage is broken.

Andy :roll:

royalts
05-15-2003, 04:40 PM
i finally got k-package workin again using agroz hint ... thanx a lot.

although i got an error message after selecting localhost ... seemed like my root password would be wrong ... but i can login as root with that password ... i can now install packages ... kind of strange, but however .. it works

muab
09-10-2003, 02:44 PM
cool, this one worked great for me too =)
many thx

muab

garyng
09-11-2003, 01:07 AM
this is a bug that has been reported to KDE for months but they don't seem to care.

If you login as 'non-root', it would prompt you for root password(most likely su in the back) and things should work. But the root must have a password(KNOPPIX cd doesn't) or it would also fail.

If you are already root, it fails, 10 out of 10. That is my experience as well as some forks on KDE forums.

Blether
04-21-2004, 06:50 PM
I'm a newbie and got here by googling kpackage and the error message. Bit daft, innit ? I mean, I get pissed at MS for taking 'security' policy decisions out of my hands...

Agroz, thanks for the info. Springboarding off that, my workaround was:

(Using the KDE GUI only)

- Kuser - create new user account for myself (or set a password on the knoppix acount)
- run command - kpackage - options - run as <new acct/knoppix acct with pwd>, giving that account's password
- operate kpackage as normal, entering the root password when prompted

Some installs are running as I write this.

ARRAN4
05-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Ok i found the problem, quite simply the SUDO_USER enviroment option isn't set under anyother user other than knoppix

so type
$ export SUDO_USER root

before using kpackage