PDA

View Full Version : Connecting with the Internet using Earthlink DSL

slvrldy17
02-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Am brand new to using Knoppix and need some help to get connected to the Internet - I'm using my Windows XP install to write this - had no problem getting Knoppix to boot up on my two + year old E Machines desktop - everything appears to work and the KDE desktop comes up with all menus etc. Where I'm having trouble is connecting to the net - in Windows my connection is on a LAN that connects through a hardware firewall directly to the Earthlink supplied Modem - no router at this time - In Windows the connection is set up to "Obtain IP automatically" and use DNS server addresses of 207.217.77.82 or 207.217.120.83 . Since Earthlink uses PPPoE I need to know how to set up the equivalent in Knoppix - Can anyone help me out ? Thanks,

tdjokic
02-11-2006, 02:08 AM
Try with pppoeconf in terminal, as root. Is your modem with USB or Ethernet conection?There is something like "ADSL setup" in some of the options on panel.

slvrldy17
02-12-2006, 07:03 AM
After advice from several sources said "go buy a router" a trip to CompUSA produced a store brand wired router/print server - which after some fiddling with allows me to get out on the net with anything EXCEPT the Earthlink TA2005 software. Firefox, IE, and all other apps seem to get out OK. Now if the DHCP server function will work with my Knoppix distro maybe I can make some progress with using Knoppix ! I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Alice R.

Harry Kuhman
02-12-2006, 07:23 AM
... which after some fiddling with allows me to get out on the net with anything EXCEPT the Earthlink TA2005 software. Firefox, IE, and all other apps seem to get out OK. Now if the DHCP server function will work with my Knoppix distro maybe I can make some progress with using Knoppix ! I'll let you know.....
Congratulations on getting a router, I expect it will work out well for you.

What is Earthlink TA2005? If it's PPPoE software for windows than you don't need it when using a router, with Linux or Windows. The router takes care of PPPoE for you. You should be able to remove any PPPoE software that you ran under Windows (a good idea for both performance and stability). If it's something else let us know what it is and maybe we can help. Obviously Linux can't run Windows applications without the help of a program like wine.

If you have booted Knoppix with the router you should know if DHCP worked for you. Keep us posted.

slvrldy17
02-12-2006, 11:37 PM
TA 2005 is Earthlinks current version connection software and e-mail client - I'm not too worried about the connection stuff which covers everything from dial up to DSL to Home/Office networks but unless I can get it working I'll need to install a new mail client - probably Thunderbird - in order to download my e-mail on that account. I can still access it via web mail but would prefer to be able to download given the limits on the storage on Earthlinks server. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I talk to their customer service rep - if I can get one the speaks understandable English.

Thanks,

Alice R.

Harry Kuhman
02-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I talk to their customer service rep - if I can get one the speaks understandable English.
Slim chance of that, even less of a chance of getting one that doesn't cry or just say "we don't support Linux" and hang up. I did a bit of searching and TA 2005 doesn't seem to make anyone very happy; why use it when there are good clients available? Tbird is certainly one option. Feel free to try Earthlink, but I expect that you'll get better results here.

slvrldy17
02-13-2006, 05:59 PM
After talking to a live rep at Earthlink support I can now report that the TA2005 software works - it had to have the needed connection settings entered manually in order to be able to find/connect with the network card and router. No problems with using Linux either - since it was a connection issue in Windows the subject did not come up and I saw no reason to raise it. Overall, I'd rate the responce to the problem quite good. Now maybe I can make some progress with Knoppix! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Alice R.

slvrldy17
02-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Made a trial run to see if it would be possible to get on the net thru Knoppix - everything appears to work and I'm using Firefox now to reach the forum and write this. Don't have the time right now to do much exploring or setting up but next time in I'll be setting up the Persistant disc image on a hard drive partion that I've set aside for the purpose. Since I've allotted 10GB of space for this I should have room for awhile at least. Am planning to have Knoppix image on the hard drive to free up the CD drive so need to know what order to set this up in and what cheat code or codes to use on booting up to use the persistant disc image and the Knoppix image together when starting up.

Thanks,

Alice R.