PDA

View Full Version : smb.conf Help

Vyper
02-11-2006, 09:06 PM
I have a Samba server running but all attempts to modify the smb.conf to allow write permissions as chmod 777 under my secure network results in it always being dr-xr-xr-x. This is inherent on any folder I share. Any help on allowing write permissions would be great.

I have tried many different things that have been suggested from Google Searches, but I am still stuck.

I am using Knoppix 3.9 to recover a damaged Windows XP. My current process is runnning samba on my desktop (damaged comp) to allow my laptop access. My laptop can read files fine. However, my backup drive is connected to my desktop, so I would like to enable write permissions on samba for the backup drive. This way I can copy files from the damaged drive to the backup drive using my laptop. (If I can't do it I think I will need to get an external hard drive reader to allow the drive to be connected to my laptop.

nad
02-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Whoa Nellie.

Let me see if I have this correct. You have a second drive (or partition) in your desktop which has a damaged OS. Booting to knoppix allows you to read the filesystems but not write them.

This would indicate a filesystem type and/or mount mode issue no matter what protocol you use to manipulate the filesystem.