PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot Knoppix V3.6

BobK_1905
02-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Greetings,

I'm new to this forum, so hope I have done this correctly.
I recently bought a new PC and now can't boot into Knoppix v3.6 from the live CD. It still works fine in my old PC, so I assume there is no problem with the CD.
Heres' a description of the problem, followed by some hardware info (hope I have given enough),

Knoppix v3.6
Start in normal mode,
Screen only displays 2 Knoppix logos top left of screen, ie no text at all. Boot stops at this point.

Started in failsafe mode,
Boots to this point,
"
Uniform multi-platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00_beta4-2.4
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus-xx
SIS5513: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:02.5
SIS5513: chipset revision 1
SIS5513: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0affa7, BIOS setings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0affaf, BIOS setings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
"
Boot stops at this point.

HARDWARE,
Motherboard
Manufacturer: MSI
Model : MS-7113
Version: 1.0
Chipset Model: SiS648FX(??) CPU to PCI Bridge
Chipset Vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 HT
CPU socket: LGA775 [CPU 1]
Processor Upgrade:
Max CPU speed: 3200 MHz
Slots: 1 PCI, 1 AGP

BIOS
BIOS Date: 05/12/05
BIOS Web page: www.ami.com
BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 080011

CPU
1 physical processor / 2 logical processors
Vendor: GenuineIntel
CPU Full Name: Intel Pentium 4 HT
CPU Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Code Name: Prescott-2M
Technology: 0.09ยต
Platform Name: LGA775

Devices
CD/DVD Drives,
Hardware IDs IDE\CdRomCyberDrv_CW038D_CD-R/RW (Secondary slave)
Hardware IDs IDE\CdRomBENQ_DVD_DD_DW1640 (Secondary master)
Hard Drives,
Hardware IDs IDE\DiskMaxtor_6Y160P0 (Primary master)
Hardware IDs IDE\DiskSAMSUNG_SV1022D (Primary slave)
RADEON X300/X550 Series Secondary
Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B70&SUBSYS_00311462&REV_00\4&797C7A&0&0108
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc.
RADEON X300/X550 Series
Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&SUBSYS_00301462&REV_00\4&797C7A&0&0008
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc.
SiS PCI IDE Controller
Hardware IDs PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_5513&SUBSYS_71131462&REV_01

I'm working toward a LInux installation for this PC, but fell at this first hurdle. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Bob

|enouf|
02-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Greetings,

I'm new to this forum, so hope I have done this correctly.
I recently bought a new PC and now can't boot into Knoppix v3.6 from the live CD. It still works fine in my old PC, so I assume there is no problem with the CD.
[...]
Thanks.
Bob
try this using the CD

boot: Knoppix26

if no go, review the knoppix-cheatcodes.txt in the /KNOPPIX Directory and try things like ' noacpi ' (etc) -- or get a newer Knoppix version

BobK_1905
02-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks. As suggested I tried various cheat codes, but without success. The latest download for Knoppix produces the same problem. It seems to be hardware related and not just with Knoppix. I've tried installing the latest versions of Suse, Mandriva and Ubuntu. None could be installed and all had problems with hardware detection. Suse and Ubuntu couldn't detect the CD (DVD) drive the install program was running from.
Its been suggested that as the mobo is new, perhaps the chipset is not supported for Linux. The specs for the board claim support for all later WIN versions, but make no mention of Linux. I'll do a bit more research and if I can get to the bottom of this I'll post the details.
Thanks again.

Xavien
02-16-2006, 05:23 AM
I have a similar problem. I boot the Knoppix CD then it goes to a screen with a X in the middle. Dunno what it means or how to get to a reg desktop. Please advise.

|enouf|
02-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks. As suggested I tried various cheat codes, but without success. The latest download for Knoppix produces the same problem. It seems to be hardware related and not just with Knoppix. I've tried installing the latest versions of Suse, Mandriva and Ubuntu. None could be installed and all had problems with hardware detection. Suse and Ubuntu couldn't detect the CD (DVD) drive the install program was running from.
Its been suggested that as the mobo is new, perhaps the chipset is not supported for Linux. The specs for the board claim support for all later WIN versions, but make no mention of Linux. I'll do a bit more research and if I can get to the bottom of this I'll post the details.
Thanks again.
1st - my apologies for the late reply -- been away for a few days

This is a Desktop ..yes ? (not a Laptop)
.....double check all your physical connections (REseat the RAM, check Cabling, check Drive "jumpers" are correct etc - Make sure BIOS is set to "AUTO" for each IDE/ATA device under IDE Config)

I notice your Display Adapter output is listed TWICE.....it "seems" it may be Ati's Onboard Graphics??
Are you also using a Video Card ? -- if one is installed, Disable the Onboard Video in the BIOS, and Set the "Primary Display Adapter" to one of these appropriate settings (PCI-Express, AGP, PCI) depending upon the the VC

If you can use

KNOPPIX 1 as the boot: cheatcode and get to a command prompt, then type

lspci -n
write down info and post it here -- it will look similar to this;

$ lspci -n
0000:00:00.0 0600: 8086:7190 (rev 03)
0000:00:01.0 0604: 8086:7191 (rev 03)
0000:00:07.0 0601: 8086:7110 (rev 02)
0000:00:07.1 0101: 8086:7111 (rev 01)
0000:00:07.2 0c03: 8086:7112 (rev 01)
0000:00:07.3 0680: 8086:7113 (rev 02)
0000:00:0c.0 0401: 1274:1371 (rev 06)
0000:00:0e.0 0200: 100b:0020
0000:00:10.0 0780: 12b9:1006
0000:01:00.0 0300: 10de:0028 (rev 11)

armed with this info, one can paste that into this site's config
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/index.cgi
- and see if it's linux compatible (plus it will inform one of hardware names and drivers/modules)

|enouf|
02-19-2006, 01:56 PM
I have a similar problem. I boot the Knoppix CD then it goes to a screen with a X in the middle. Dunno what it means or how to get to a reg desktop. Please advise.
That little 'x' occurs usually only for a short period while the Display resolution is being configured to call up XWindows (or XServer) usually. Don't know what you mean by 'reg' desktop

Xavien
02-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Regular desktop. I sit at that "X" for more then an hour. No response at all. I dunno, but in windows there is a vga safe mode, is there such a thing in knoppix, that I can forget the vga stuff to check the rest of the machine for possible defects.

|enouf|
02-21-2006, 05:17 AM
Regular desktop. I sit at that "X" for more then an hour. No response at all. I dunno, but in windows there is a vga safe mode, is there such a thing in knoppix, that I can forget the vga stuff to check the rest of the machine for possible defects.
Xavien;
have you even tried the cheatcodes and other workarounds (to obtain hardware info) I listed for the OP ??

You will need to clarify about your setup and be very specific about what System, OSes installed and ALL System components you have -- also make BACKUPS of anything Important NOW!! (if you haven't already ;))

hehehe - the 'reg' thing -- I'm so familiar with using the shortened term REG to describe Windows Regedit.exe app - my bad

BobK_1905
02-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info.

This is a Desktop ..yes ? (not a Laptop)
Yes, a desktop.

.....double check all your physical connections (REseat the RAM, check Cabling, check Drive "jumpers" are correct etc -
Checked connections and jumpers and all seem to be OK. No problems with Windows.

Make sure BIOS is set to "AUTO" for each IDE/ATA device under IDE Config)
IDE devices are autoconfigured by default.

I notice your Display Adapter output is listed TWICE.....it "seems" it may be Ati's Onboard Graphics??
Are you also using a Video Card ? -- if one is installed, Disable the Onboard Video in the BIOS, and Set the "Primary Display Adapter" to one of these appropriate settings (PCI-Express, AGP, PCI) depending upon the the VC
I think this is because the card has dual monitor support. Even WIN PnP detected two devices with two different drivers.

I tried using the knoppix 1 cheat code. Setup! started OK, but failed with "Autoconfiguring devices ...". It doesn't go past that point.
I thought I might try swapping the DVD drive for another that I can borrow.

|enouf|
03-01-2006, 06:15 AM
Suggest the various cheatcodes;
acpi=off
vga=normal

could also try the copy image to HDD cheat codes, (only if you have somewhere to store the ~700MB on your HDD)
Examples (hda1 is the 1st partition on 1st HDD - change/alter accordingly);

knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 Copy CD to HD partition and run from there
knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 Boot from previously copied CD-Image

Insert -> 26 after knoppix, for kernel2.6 (ex knoppix26 tohd=/dev/ha1)

Copying and Booting from HDD will eliminate any flaky CD/DVD drive issues (as long as the 700MB is copied over correctly) - and booting from HDD will result in faster performance - plus you'll free up yet another Optical drive (once booted, you can remove the LiveCD)

Also note in version Knoppix 3.6 - the default Kernel is still 2.4, while 2.6 was still "experimental" at that time (though I've used it on older hardware)

Try a newer Knoppix version - your ATi Drivers may be the issue

BobK_1905
03-04-2006, 11:29 PM
|enouf|

I've been getting a bit suspicious of the DVD drive (BENQ), so borrowed another and swapped them. I was able to start Knoppix 4.02 OK running it from the replacement drive. So it seems the BENQ drive is flaky (as suggested in your last post). Anyway, I think I'll still follow your suggestion and install to HDD.

Thanks for all your help.

Bob

Harry Kuhman
03-04-2006, 11:33 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it

|enouf|
03-05-2006, 12:44 AM
|enouf|

I've been getting a bit suspicious of the DVD drive (BENQ), so borrowed another and swapped them. I was able to start Knoppix 4.02 OK running it from the replacement drive. So it seems the BENQ drive is flaky (as suggested in your last post). Anyway, I think I'll still follow your suggestion and install to HDD.

Thanks for all your help.

Bob
welcome ;)
To others reading.....The advice (suggestion) you refer to;
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100659#100659
is not the a Real HDD install (it's not what Harry is warning against, AFAIK) - it's simply a way of booting the LiveCD Image while it's located on and runs from the HDD - rather than it being run and located on a physical Optical Disk (CD/DVD) -- again the 2 major advantages are (A) Speed (B) A Free ODD (Once Booted) for burning, listening to music, etc...

Thoughts Harry ?
The only caveat I can see offhand is that ntfs partitions may not 'cooperate" ?? (not sure - I don't use NTFS)..perhaps these ntfs issues are what prompted Gilles (Knoppix member ruymbeke) to create(?) the Win_Partition method (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition) ?? I am unsure of this. Someone Please clarify, so I may halt any misinformation (on my part) from disseminating.

Harry Kuhman
03-05-2006, 01:17 AM
welcome ;)
To others reading.....The advice (suggestion) you refer to; .....
is not the a Real HDD install (it's not what Harry is warning against, AFAIK) - it's simply a way of booting the LiveCD Image

Thoughts Harry ?
Booting the ISO from hard disk rask rather than after it is burnt to optical disc is indeed much safer. This has also been called the "Poor man's install", a term from back in the days when some hard disks were not large enough to hold the uncompressed Knoppix files and had to use the ISO on hard disk approach if they were going to go on hard disk at all. If all that is wanted is to boot Knoppix faster then this approach can give an improvement over booting from Optical media. But it also retains the limitations of the optical system; you stll have the Knoppix ISO in a read only system that can't be changed and installing extra software is not simple (although efforts to try should not break the original ISO and systems like Klik should work). But if one is going to go this far I feel that they should at least give a try to a real install of a real Debian system first. If you make the choice to go with a Poor Man's Install after trying Debian, that's a decision I can understand and respect (I could even understand that in some very strange circumstances one might choose to go for a full Knoppix hard disk install (sometimes called a fool Knoppix hard disk install). But I can't see any logic in tryng these approaches without at least looking at current installs of real Debian first.