PDA

View Full Version : find out what hardware are supported by each Knoppix

rbm451
02-13-2006, 03:40 PM
I have switched from RedHat to Knoppix. Too many CDs in RedHat installs. My question: how do I find out what hardware are supported in each version of Knoppix? I am using 3.4 on Dell D600 and Intel Pro Wireless is not supported, but it is supported in 4.0. Problem is 4.0 will not boot on HD install with D600 and I am seeking a vanilla version of knoppix to install on D600.

nad
02-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Well, there's your problem. You used the words _vanilla_ and _knoppix_ in the same sentence.

There is nothing vanilla about knoppix. Try suse, xandros, mepis, lindows...

rbm451
02-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Well... I can certainly rebuild the kernel and install it but this doesn't answer my question. I've already rebuilt linux and can get it to work, that's not the point. Is there any listing of what hardware particular versions of knoppix support? By vanilla I mean knoppix w/o any modifications as distributed here.

nad
02-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Think of what you are asking. For starters, if that Intel wireless card is supplied by Dell it probably has a different manufacturer and device ID than one with the same chipset supplied by another OEM. Not to mention the fact that some large discounters will actually insist on a crippled, non-standard, device in order to save a few pennies or provide vendor lock-in. I have regularly tweaked driver source code for just this reason. Combine this with more than just your little corner of the world and any regional variants and you can begin to understand the magnitude of the task. You might as well ask a resident of China what kind gas available in Texas is best for a Volvo for each of the years '06, '05, '04...

The resources necessary to keep any such list reasonably up to date would be a full time job for more than one person. Care to contribute?