PDA

View Full Version : Booting from USB

Jthom203
02-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Can I install Knoppix to my 60gig Ipod and boot from it?(using it like a thumb drive or an external hard drive) and If so how?

ruymbeke
02-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Can I install Knoppix to my 60gig Ipod and boot from it?(using it like a thumb drive or an external hard drive) and If so how?
My guess is that technically you can obviously store all the files in your ipod: iso, kernel and boot ramdisk.
Now to get the bootloader started from your ipod and pc bios is an other story.
It may interfer with your Ipod boot up and make it unusable ! I would be very careful...
What I believe should be much safer for your Ipod and should work quite easily,
is to use a very small USB dongle (5MB or more) as the boot device
(bootloader + kernel + boot ramdisk: grub + linux + minirt_usb4.gz)
and have Knoppix boot script to retrive the data of the big ISO cd image from your Ipod.
So at the end of the game, besides your Ipod, you will need a small USB dongle
and a PC with a USB bootable bios. I like the idea, but GB USB dongle are getting smaller
and cheaper every day. Search on ebay for: 8gb usb flash ...
My 2 cents,
Gilles

lindopski
02-15-2006, 02:30 PM
mm similar Idea here
I have an 800mhz Laptop
with 128MB Ram
and one dead hard drive controller on the mainboard.
Knoppix will boot and run fine from CD, detects everything ok and runs reasonably well , takes a long time to load open office etc , but no real worries as otherwise the Laptop is a bookend.
I wondered is it possible for me to get hold of an external usb drive - 2.5" or 3.5" external HDD and somehow install Knoppix to that and set the pc to boot to the external usb drive from the off bypassing the guts of the laptop entirely.