PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix V4 and wired card configuration

zillah
02-14-2006, 08:13 AM
I tried to configure wired card to access the net,,,what I did :

Start Menu--> Knoppix--> Network/Internet--> Network Card Configuration , then I received small winodws called "Xdialog"

Use DHCP broadcast----> I answered "Yes" -----( i tried at different places at work) with some places it is ok,,with the other places within same building it failed,,,,Is there any reason for that ?

Am I doing the right thing ?

Do I need to be aware of something elase ?

Harry Kuhman
02-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Use DHCP broadcast----> I answered "Yes" -----( i tried at different places at work) with some places it is ok,,with the other places within same building it failed,,,,Is there any reason for that ?
DHCP requires a DHCP server at boot time that will give your computer some network configuration information. This is usually a part of a router although it can be done other ways. We have no way of knowing what you have at work or how it is configured. Your questions and lack of technical detail indicate that you likely don't have this information; I would suggest discussing it with someone in your IT / technical department at work.

zillah
02-14-2006, 09:37 AM
In all these different places I can access the internet wirelessly through winodws OS,,,,If I can do it through winodws,,,shouldn't I be able to access through Knoppix as well ?

Harry Kuhman
02-14-2006, 10:05 AM
In all these different places I can access the internet wirelessly through winodws OS,,,,If I can do it through winodws,,,shouldn't I be able to access through Knoppix as well ?
I have no idea what you are connecting to wirelessly, it could even be another company in the same building running a wireless router. You can't expect Knoppix to connect wirelessly, when many wireless card makers will not supply drivers for anything except windows or even give out technical details on the hardware to allow Linux drivers to be written. Some wireless hardware is supported, but it's only a small percentage.

So that gets me back to my advice for your wired connection; talk to your IT department about what's different when you try to connect from the different locations.