PDA

View Full Version : Noob Q: How do I download and install a program?

eric.stone
02-19-2006, 05:45 AM
Hi,
How do I download and install a program? apt-get install? I'm looking for a mail, calendar, task list, combination program.
Thanks,
Eric

Cuddles
02-19-2006, 08:48 AM
depends... are you hard drive installed????

If you are booting off the Live CD, then klik is your answer ( dont know much about it though, I hard drive install )

If you are hard drive installed, here is a quick ref on commands you should commit to memory:

apt-get update - it gets from your /etc/apt/sources.list file, the current packages listing from your sources
apt-cache search [something] - searchs for the occurance of "something" in either descriptions, package names, etc... and displays what it finds
apt-cache show [package] - displays a lot more information about a package that just the search above - the search gives you a single line of info, whereas, show gives you everything
apt-get -u install [package1] ... [package2] ...[ etc ]... - installs one or more packages, the -u option gives you suggestions that you might want to install as well - not necessary, but, nice to use... install can install one package, or, you can add as many packages to the list as you want...

best to use "apt-cache search" if you are looking for something, but, dont know what the name of it is... then... you can use show to view more information on the package itself, or go right to installing it... show also tells you what it depends on, and what it might conflict with... another nice command is...

apt-cache policy [package] - this one gives you output of what, if it is, installed on your system already, and what, if any, new versions are available, and where in your available sources.list - very handy command

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles